Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it isn't broke...........
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
      If it isn't broke...........
      34mpg average it's pretty broke. I can drive my Bimmer for that, and have a lot more fun.

Would hot intake hurt? I noticed my flap that pulls air off the exhaust manifold shield stays at full open. I'd think that'd actually HELP, from what i've seen on ecomodder and such.

Comment

Now all i need is what this thing is on the carb, or how to find out. It's the cylinder in the middle between the 2 vacuum lines.

Comment

anyone? I'm dead in the water till then.

Comment

looks like a fuel cut solenoid to me. 34 mpg ain't broke, things just need TLC and adjustment.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I was getting 38-40 when i got it 4 months ago.......I dunno where to start checking and adjusting. I figured a carb swap and removal of all that vacuum stuff would eliminate at least 2 dozen points of failure.

I'm 100% open to suggestions.....although I've got about $100 invested in the swap.

Comment

it's been given a proper tune-up and PROPER adjustment of timing? you can see that kind of milage drop if the timing is out by as much as 2*.

just a thought...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  it's been given a proper tune-up and PROPER adjustment of timing? you can see that kind of milage drop if the timing is out by as much as 2*.

just a thought...
                  Umm, likely no on both accounts. Valves are adjusted to spec (according to haynes) toward the loose side. if these are like bimmers at all, tickity is better than torched. The plugs are also <2 months....now that I think, i didn't change the gaps, but they were all ±.003", amazing on it's own.

What do I need to do, or what haynes page?

Having idle troubles too. races to 3k sometimes, rarely under 1200, but it'll randomly just go dead when idling, often when I clutch to slow down for a turn, poof, dead. I usually just clutch it in 3rd and bump off.
                  Last edited by odiekokee; 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM.

Comment

well check the plugs (i had new plugs that failed in 3 mos). the inconsistant idle is prolly a linkage issue (lack of lube). also while you're in there, pull the wires, cap, and rotor and inspect for wear.

Comment

well check the plugs (i had new plugs that failed in 3 mos). the inconsistant idle is prolly a linkage issue (lack of lube). also while you're in there, pull the wires, cap, and rotor and inspect for wear.
                      Ok, linkage where? or should I just give a good lubricating to every moving thing around the carb including cables? The plugs, I'll check, but the old ones looked good, no abnormalities based on the normal visual charts. Wires looked ok, and best i could tell, the cap/rotor looks to have been replaced sometime not long before I got the car.

What about the timing?? how deep a job is that?

Should i surrender on the carb swap?

Comment

timing is easy if you have a light (beg, borrow or steal on if you have to). a general spray down of the carb isn't a bad idea, but i'm refering spicificaly to the linkage next to and behind the cable cam (choke linkage).

Comment

timing is easy if you have a light (beg, borrow or steal on if you have to). a general spray down of the carb isn't a bad idea, but i'm refering spicificaly to the linkage next to and behind the cable cam (choke linkage).
                          I've gotta avoid silicone oil based lube, right?? I love the stuff, but I know most of the times it'll eat an o2 sensor, anything else to be aware of?

Comment

Working...
                          X