90' Festy has NO power when driving..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by festiva208 View Post
    changed fuel filter today, it was clogged up and a buch of nasty old gas came out of it. Still has no power and is hesitant. Will play around with turning distributer tomorrow, don't have the money to have someone with a timing light mess with it, so by the way i described it running, should i gradually turn it clockwise (advance?) or counterclockwise (retard?) and see how it runs then...I know it's a halfassed way, but im not putting any more money into the car. If that does't fix it then its going up for sale or scrapyard...
    Clockwise is retard, counter is advance I think.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ok thanks! So do you guys think by the way it runs (makes a banging sound right before it starts, idles fine, hesitant and cuts out when giving throttle, hesitant and about dies when taking on and having no power when driving, occasional backfire when driving) that it needs to be advanced or retarded? I know its probably hard tellin' without being there to listen to it, but just need an opinion.thanks
      -drew

Comment

If you had a bunch of trash come out of the fuel filter, maybe the fuel sock is plugged up as well. I had that problem with mine.
        Last edited by MONSOON; 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Sounds like you've replaced the rotor, cap, and plugs, have you considered new plug wires as well? I've had plug wires give me similar problems.

Comment

it's clockwise=advance (as you're looking at the dizzy from the driver side) and replace your coil.....
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

and as monsoon said check in the fuel tank for the condition of the other filter.
              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Ok i'll check the filter in the tank tomorrow or whenever i get time next. i take it you have to drop the tank because it sits down in from the top? Didn't mess with timing yet because as some said, i don't know how it would just go out of time. Im also going to check air box for a clog because i saw a mouse running around in dog house when i popped the hood. maybe he made a nest clogging up the air flow, even though its acting like its more starved of fuel than it is air (when i pulled new plugs to check color they were a real light bronze color) Still need to try out new wires..want to check all things that won't cost me money first!

Comment

Ok i'll check the filter in the tank tomorrow or whenever i get time next. i take it you have to drop the tank because it sits down in from the top? ..........
                  No, tank has an access port inside the car.
                  Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

checked in tank filter today. Looked a little dirty in some spots but nothing thats going to effect efficient fuel pick up. I got my sights on other things and don't feel like putting anymore money into trying to find the problem so i'll see what the scrap yard will give me, and if its not good enough i'll try to sell it or part it out on here. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Comment

don't feel like putting anymore money into trying to find the problem so i'll see what the scrap yard will give me, and if its not good enough i'll try to sell it or part it out on here. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
                      If I could help you I would but I don't know what's wrong with your car. If you want to sell it to a scrap yard, call me, 502 645 8439. I'm just a few miles down the road from you.

Comment

thanks Mike i'll keep that in mind.

Comment

took it to the mechanic and the timing is fine. He said that he's pretty sure its 1 or 2 injectors that are plugged up. I know the #1 cylinder is one of the cylinders not getting fuel because the plug is whiter than the rest. He checked them with an ohm meter and they are ok, just clogged really bad. I've already ran some injector cleaner through it, but hasnt helped much. Hopefully i can find some used injectors, or possibly a whole rail w/ injectors.

Comment

send them out to be cleaned/ballanced, it's cheaper than buying new ones by quite a bit and takes only a day or two to do it.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                            X