No announcement yet.

Is it the fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a 92. Yeah, like I said, if you take the fuel line off before the fuel filter and turn the key no gas comes through the line. This is leading me to believe its either a bad relay or pump. The thing ran fine when I parked it but now I'm not getting anything. I'm going to hit the junk yards today to see what I can find.
    1963 Ford F-100
    1992 Ford Festiva
    2006 Audi A4
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Here's a pic of a fuel pump relay from NAPA:

Just in case you didn't recognize it when you looked under the dash.

Sorry I can't help more.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

If you cant find the fuel pump try checking on Ebay a good one will cost you about 30 bucks. The relay right now i dont think they have it. they run about 50-60bucks. Hmm you said NO gas comes out right?? im leaning more towards a relay cause usually if a pump is dead or dying it can still pump a little of gas. But who knows maybe the motor is totally dead. good luck. Try hitting the relay that could sometimes help.

Comment

pump is probably seized due from sitting a long time and bad gas.
          i would remove fuel pump and check it
          1992 black GL
          1991 white GL
          1991 blue L parts car
          1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
          1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

Thanks Karl been wonder what it looked like ever since you had that issue in VA.

Originally posted by hotrodin4me View Post
            pump is probably seized due from sitting a long time and bad gas.
            i would remove fuel pump and check it
            Agreed, I have one with the same problem, pretty sure its the pump.
            They do like like to sit for long periods of tim with the crappy 10% ethanol in it!
            Don't get one fron a JY, it will have similar issues.
            However, unless the pump has burned up you might be able to flush/disolve the crud out of it with Seafoam or maybe Marvel Mystery Oil.
            I have not tried this , but it might be worth a shot!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I originally ran some Seafoam through the tank when I first started it back in July of 08'. I thought it worked pretty well.

I found a picture of the relay through some creative internet searching.

I went to the junk yards around here and found one relay and what I thought was the right VAF off an Aspire. FAIL, it is not. I'll take it back and get some credit towards my Aspire suspension parts I plan to buy. I decided to just buy a new fuel pump as like mentioned above, one from a junk yard is probably in no better shape than the one I have.

I'll order a new pump tonight and install it when it gets here. I removed the old pump when I got home. Don't know how to visually inspect for functionality but it looked old, that's all I can tell you. I could also see through the gas to the bottom of the tank, looks like little bits of debris down there. Any way to get those out?

If the new pump doesn't work I would guess then its the relay?
              1963 Ford F-100
              1992 Ford Festiva
              2006 Audi A4
              2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Also, I'd just like to add that after 2 years of reading this forum it feels really good to finally start working on the car.
                1963 Ford F-100
                1992 Ford Festiva
                2006 Audi A4
                2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLSU View Post
                  Don't know how to visually inspect for functionality but it looked old, that's all I can tell you. I could also see through the gas to the bottom of the tank, looks like little bits of debris down there. Any way to get those out?
                  hook it up direct to 12 volt, just to see if it attempts to work!
                  But only for a very short time as the pump uses the fuel to cool itself and if the pump is seized then the power can burn-up the pump.
                  If it makes like it wants to work drop it in a jar of Seafoam/Marvel Mystery Oil and let it soak. Check it again in a few days.

There is drain bolt on the drivers-side of the tank, 17mm, IIRC.
                  Drain the fuel out.
                  Either filter the old fuel and use it to flush the remaining material out or use fresh fuel to do the flushing.
                  Might want to use a nylon scrub brush to make sure you get all the crud out. Make sure the opening in the baffles around the pump/sender are clear.
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Well, I already bought the pump before I got home last night. It came to just over 30 bucks with shipping, which I didn't think was too bad. Like I said, I'll install it when it gets here and go from there.

I tell you, going from buying parts for my Mercedes to parts for this Festiva has been amazing. I priced out a new pump for my benz just for fun and it was 300 for a used one that needs rebuilt!
                    1963 Ford F-100
                    1992 Ford Festiva
                    2006 Audi A4
                    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

If your car hasn't yet started, I would unplug and clean your fusible link connectors.
                      I came out of work one day last spring to head home and "old red" would not start. I drove it to work and afterwards no go. It turned out to be corroded connections in the fusible links. Cleaned them up and it fired right up!
                      Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

You must be talking about those three exposed wire things on the drivers side strut tower correct?

Let me ask this: Why would you put those there instead of just having a fuse??

Also, what is the purpose they serve?
                        1963 Ford F-100
                        1992 Ford Festiva
                        2006 Audi A4
                        2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

fuses are there for circuit protection from too much current, the links that are in our cars do the same thing, BUT, they tend to corrode and cause a voltage drop across the terminals, or just fall appart. so replace them with pink and green fuses from other cars (PAL style), they have long legs and will fit right in.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I've had to slosh the tank around and drain it into a drain pan and repeat... .(as Pu241 already said...) did that several times to get that crud out of the tank.. I also had to replace the fuel pump and sending unit.... the pump had taken the relay with it in some kinda freak accident I guess... worked well for me... now my car is back on the road..... wish you luck with yours.... BTW, if ya need a fuel pump relay, Freshtiva has some he might be willing to let go.... thats where I got my replacement relay
                            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                            Projects in the works:
                            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

I found a relay at the junk yard yesterday for 2 bucks, but if I need another one I'll ask him.

I noticed when I took the old pump out its attached to a float and some sort of sending unit, along with the strainer on the bottom. Will those come with the new pump or will it be just the motor?

Is it possible for those to go bad too? I imagine being submerged in gasoline can't be good for electronics.
                              1963 Ford F-100
                              1992 Ford Festiva
                              2006 Audi A4
                              2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Comment

$30 will likely just be the pump!
                                I wouldn't expect the sock/strainer to come with it.
                                For sure the float and sender will not come with it.
                                Careful not to bend the float on removal or re-assembly.
                                '92 Aqua parts Car
                                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                                X