1991 festiva gl not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 festiva gl not starting

ok i was driving my festy and all of a sudden it starts running liek its missing a cyl. take it home and try to start it and nothign will happen. i figured it out has no spark so i bought new plugs wires cap roater and a new ign coil. still no spark. turns over just fine but has no spark. ne sugestions

how are you testing for spark?
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2162509
    First known g25mr with Hydraulic clutch swap

Comment

i took ou thte plug and plug it back into the plug wire then grounded it and i also took off the wire comming from the coil and held it near the distiubter and still nohtign

Comment

When you took out the spark plug and put it back in the plug wire did you turn over the motor? I'm sure you did, but when you were doing that did you have somebody telling you if you had spark or not? because its hard to see from in the car!
        my next question is do you have spark to 3 of the cylinders or none of them?
        If you dont have spark to any of the cylinders next thing I would check is the distributor.

Mike
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2162509
        First known g25mr with Hydraulic clutch swap

Comment

there is no spark to any cylinder but there isn't even spark to the distrubter and i replaced the cap and roater and the ing coil and still no spark. anybody else have any info

Comment

sounds like a fusable link on the strut tower..

Comment

do you know which link it would be?

Comment

I don't remember off the top of my head which is which, but I'd try wiggling them a little first then check with a meter.

Comment

tried all links and all work fine i think i am just gunna try to sell the thing soon if anybody else has ne other ideas shoot them my way

Comment

what year is this festy???

first of all, have you checked to see if your timing is correct??? and to see if your camshaft is turning?

if yes:

possibilities are the ignition module (tiny module next to coil) or the camshaft pickup coil located under your your distributor cap past the rotor under the black cover,

Comment

its a 1991 festiva gl auto. i am sure the cam is turnign since the whole motor turns over just fine

Comment

just because the engine cranks does not mean the cam is turning. The timing belt could have broken. Take the cap off the dist. and have a friend crank the engien. see if the rotor turns while cranking. If not, you probably have a broken timing belt.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ill give that a try tonight wheni work on it

Comment

the timing belt is fine and the cam turns over just fine. this is what i have found wrong with it. i have 12 volt input to the distributor and i have signal coming out of the distributor but it will not fire the coil. are there any other devices or sensors in the circuit that will not allow the signal to trigger the coil.

Comment

I had the same problem with a 1990 festiva and finally found that the distributor ground wire was broken in the wiring loon where it goes over the fan shroud. Why it breaks there, I don't know but I know of two other festivas that did the same thing. It might be worth your time to check the continuity of your grounds.

God is Good!
                              Hopy-d

Comment

Working...
                              X