No announcement yet.

1991 festiva gl not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't give up yet! Try the ignitor. Its about 1" square and sits beside the coil on '90-'93. On '88-'89 it's inside the distributor. They go bad suddenly sometimes. This causes no spark to the distributor. Sound like what you have going on. Also sounds like you have eliminated alot of other possible causes. Problem is ingintors are between $75 -$120 new. I have about 4 or 5 good used ones. I've tested them on a car by swapping them out and running them. Easy 2 minute swap.
    The early style in the distributor is a bit more involved swap. Usually cheaper to get a complete rebuilt distributor for $150 as the ingitor alone can run as high as $185
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I'm not located too far from you. I'm in the NW corner of Milwaukee. If you ever need any help working on it or if you decide to sell it let me know
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

well i might be selling it soon and ill pm you if i do

Comment

OK well i don't want to buy a new ignitor with out knowing if mine works or not. so how would i go about testing my ignitor?

Comment

OK so now I own this car. I have tried a different ignitor from a running car and it still will not start. I am going to check tonight to make sure its getting fuel but I don't know what else to look for. it has power to the distributor and coil. Brand new coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The cam is turning but still has no spark :x Where do I go from here? The fuse able links are all good and working properly. I'm running out of ideas and fast. I have a distributor I can take off of my other 91GL if anyone thinks that might be the problem. I want to try to get this thing started tonight so I can move it. Ive had it parked on the same spot on the street since I've bought it and want to get her running before I start piling up parking tickets
            Paul
            91GL
            Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Paul, If it has a new coil , and has power to the coil and power to the disty , and it has no spark still ? It must not be getting a signal from the disty to the coil , since it is a 91 and a external module ,I think the disty sends a sig to the ignitor and fires the coil , ? There is something there it says in the book about a internal electronic module, not serviceable on 90-93 , my book says replace the disty, If you have done everything else .
              That is what I would do Paul , Good luck :wink:
              ------------------------------------------------
              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I just tried the Dist from my other 91 GL that runs fine and I still have no spark from the coil. I'm about at my wits end already. I have power to the Dist and power to the coil and a known good Dist. I have tried two other ignition modules and don't know what else to check right now. Its kinda hard working on the car when its dark and parked on the street. Are there any grounds to check or anything I can jump to ground to make sure its grounded right before I try again? I have my Factory manual here but my EVTM is about an hour away from me right now.
                Paul
                91GL
                Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Hopy-d had a post on page 1 @ the bottom about the coil ground might be broken check out his post it may just be the trick. :idea:
                  Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
                  187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

Anyone know which wire in the loom is the ground wire for the coil? Or which wire is the ground for the distributor. I don't have my EVTM manual here.
                    Paul
                    91GL
                    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Paul give me till about Noon EST when I get up. I'll find it in my EV book.
                      Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
                      187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

I talked to him about a hour ago , he said he worked on it off and on all day still no luck , It has to be something simple that is being overlooked,
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

No joy I checked the EVTM and the service manual and found nothing.
                          SM showed in a diagram that the wires to the disty do travel over the fan shroud and then into the main harness. My best guess is to trace the wires from disty and try to find a brake. I know it's a pain in the a$$ but it seems to be the only way.
                          Hopy may be able to tell you the wire color that broke on his this could help locate the problem.
                          I will keep looking let me know your progress

Good Luck

Will
                          187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

Well after I got back I checked the wires to the Ignitor. I have a constant voltage to the ignitor but no pulse signal when its cranking just a steady 12 or 13 volts. Anyone have any idea what would cause that? Whatever makes it pulse would be my problem then?
                            Paul
                            91GL
                            Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

OK so now I've checked the ground to the Dist with a volt meter and it appears to be ok. Would the ECM going bad cause a no spark situation. I'm just about at a loss here with this car
                              Paul
                              91GL
                              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Originally posted by PaulLehr
                                OK so now I've checked the ground to the Dist with a volt meter and it appears to be ok. Would the ECM going bad cause a no spark situation. I'm just about at a loss here with this car
                                PM sent!

Comment

Working...
                                X