No announcement yet.

1991 festiva gl not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok today I tried another ECU out of my running car and still no luck. I just cant figure out what it is that sends the pulse signal to the ignitor. I tried re grounding the Dist. and the ignitor and still nothing. Now I'm totally lost :?
    Paul
    91GL
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I am out of ideas Paul,Sorry ,I really thought you would have had it by now .
      Just dolly it to OHIOSTIVA and we put all of our heads together and lay hands on it. :lol:
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

have you checked to see if there are any trouble codes?

Comment

Actually as stupid as it sounds I haven't checked the ECU for any trouble codes. I can give that a try tomorrow and see what if anything shows up once I plug the original ECU back in and try to start it again. If I had a way to get her down to OHIOSTIVA I would do it in a heartbeat. Its starting to kinda pi$$ me off
          Paul
          91GL
          Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

you may want to check continuity between the computer and the ignitor, and the crank position sensor and the computer.

Comment

Today when I get off of work I will get to work checking the continuity of the wires from the computer to the crank sensor and the ignitor. Hopefully I will find where I'm losing signal here its getting to be quite frustrating :x
              Paul
              91GL
              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I can imagine. It's getting frustrating for me just reading and trying to think what it could be. The coil is responsible for the pulse signal. Did you check coil voltages? I'm nearly positive they are in the Haynes manual - that's what I used (might have been my 88 tho).

Even though the coil is new, don't assume it's good. I've had brand new Festiva coils and distrib. rotors that were bad.

I'll keep thinking.
                jeff

EDIT: This is an auto? Could it possibly be the P/N safety switch? I've never tried to start mine in another gear to see what would happen. My guess is it won't even crank. I'll let you know in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Nope - no crank.

I've heard some Corvair guys have similar problems and replace the ignition switch. It doesn't make sense to me - seems if it turns the engine over, it must be sending a "run" signal.

Any ideas how the ignition works? I suppose if the "run" wire were broken, the "crank" wire could still function (technical terms)

jeff

Comment

Looked it up in the 93 EVTM (part 149-6). Makes more sense to me now - seems like it could crank without sending the "RUN" signal

W (white) = common

Start Ign ON ACC OFF
                    BL/BL BK/W BK/R BL/R
                    B C D E

to test ON (Run) circuit: (connect ohmmeter to terminals, move switch through positions indicated, good switch will read open/closed)

connect W (A) and BK/R (D)
                    off = open circuit
                    ACC = open
                    ON = closed circuit
                    START = open

to test Ignition circuit:

connect W (A) and BK/W (C)
                    off = open
                    ACC = open
                    ON = closed
                    START = closed

to test Start circuit:

connect W (A) and BK/BL (B)
                    off = open
                    ACC = open
                    ON = open
                    START = closed

Comment

I'd like to help but you all have me lost.

All I can say is "good luck Paul!" and keep trying.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Where would I be testing these wires? At the ignition switch or ??
                        Paul
                        91GL
                        Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Ok I was just looking at the wires in the column from the ignition switch and I have no white wire to be found. Am I way off here or what?
                          Paul
                          91GL
                          Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Not sure - I just got that from the EVTM. White wire looks to be common to all switch positions. It's in connector C200, lower right of the steering column. Actually, the picture shows 3 connectors under the C200 label. Wire colors left to right: BK/W, W, BK/R, BL/R, BK/BL

Yes, it looks like you connect to the terminals on the plug (or back-probe, I would imagine).

Hope that helps, Paul.
                            jeff

Comment

I just went down and picked up my EVTM over the weekend so hopefully sometime this week I can look it over run some tests and get her running
                              Paul
                              91GL
                              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I often find the EVTM more useful than the service manual

Good luck,
                                jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X