Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Bearings Going - I have Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Bearings Going - I have Questions!

Hey all,

Just wondering how much I should be paying to get my front bearings replaced and how long it should take? Is it usually cheaper to bring my own part? Also, are there better bearings than others?

Also, is there anyone around me that would want to do it? Might as well keep the money in the Festiva Family .

If so, just PM me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Darlo; 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM.

Use timken bearings. I immagine it would be cheaper to supply your own parts, make sure whoever does them keeps the spacers in the proper location when they re assembel the unit.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
      Use timken bearings. I immagine it would be cheaper to supply your own parts, make sure whoever does them keeps the spacers in the proper location when they re assembel the unit.
      What spacers? Sorry, I am dense when it comes to this stuff! :sign3:

Comment

Oh I also wanted to ask about spark plugs (which I know how to do, lol). I would like to know if there is any difference in plug qualities and if the price difference is worth it. Most importantly, will somewhat bad plugs effect my gas mileage???

Comment

there are shims/ spacers behind the bearing races that will need to be put back in the same place bc they are speceficly made for that hub assembly. spark plugs will effect mileage if the gap is too big or too small, or the electrode is burnt/fouled, so yeah it will effect mileage bc it is less efficent at burning the fuel. as far as brands they are pretty much just pesornal prefrence, i would just get a step above oem, like a bosch platinum plug or even an autolite platnium plug. ngk's are ok too

00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes

sponsered by,

Comment

Dealership

I had my entire front end replaced this Summer and chose to buy a real good quaility disk to put my new bearings in. Asked many repair shops to do the work and all turned me down. It seems that pressing in the new race requires a special set up press and most have seen disaster doing the work without it.

I took it to the local Ford dealership with all parts purchased from NAPA=QUALITY. It cost me around $1500 parts and labor. Brand new front end including struts, discs, and brakes for that price was well worth it. The car drives soooo much better! I slapped on a set of MICHELIN X-Ice tires when it got cold and it steers like an Indy car!

Comment

Originally posted by sandspringsfestiva View Post
              I had my entire front end replaced this Summer and chose to buy a real good quaility disk to put my new bearings in. Asked many repair shops to do the work and all turned me down. It seems that pressing in the new race requires a special set up press and most have seen disaster doing the work without it.

I took it to the local Ford dealership with all parts purchased from NAPA=QUALITY. It cost me around $1500 parts and labor. Brand new front end including struts, discs, and brakes for that price was well worth it. The car drives soooo much better! I slapped on a set of MICHELIN X-Ice tires when it got cold and it steers like an Indy car!
              I am assuming you are not talking about a festiva??? If so $1500!

Comment

Yeah 1500$ u got screwed bad! The parts are 350$ at the most and labor is only maybe 4 hours if u take your time. I've torn my frontend apart 3 times and it dosent take long. 1500$ for a car the kbb is worth 500$ dosent seem practical by any measure lol

sponsered by,

Comment

I'm a cheap SOB, so I pull my hubs, buy my own new bearings, and take them to my shop to be swapped. Usually costs me somewhere around 40 or 50 bucks, plus the cost of the bearings, per side.

Do yourself a favor, before you hand them the keys to the car, ask the guy who will be doing the work if he understands about the spacers. If not, move on. Trust me on this one. If he messes up on the spacers, you will need new bearings in short order. If he loses them, you will more than likely end up needing new hubs.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

$1500? Even for a dealership, that's expensive. I hope they replaced EVERYTHING (down to the last nut) for that price. I also hope you got a lifetime warranty with that.

As for finding a shop to do front hubs, find a place with experience doing Kia Rios. They have the same setup.
                    Last edited by JPT; 01-22-2011, 04:13 PM.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
                      Yeah 1500$ u got screwed bad! The parts are 350$ at the most and labor is only maybe 4 hours if u take your time. I've torn my frontend apart 3 times and it dosent take long. 1500$ for a car the kbb is worth 500$ dosent seem practical by any measure lol
                      He took it to the dealer, just looked it all up and at the dealer the parts to do the work he listed would be right at $830.00, labor guide calls for 9.2hrs for what he listed, plus alignment as well.

Apple to oranges, shopping for the cheapest parts and doing all the work in your driveway is a way different thing than having it done because you don't have the skill or equipment to do it yourself.

Doesn't seem practical??? uh how much are you gonna have in the new engine?? lol just razzin ya
                      Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                      1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I used to work in a greases, lubricants and chemical specialties lab. The cause of most bearing failures is poor quality and poor packing. I prefer a milled grease like Esso Unirex EP-2. A milled grease is very smooth and doesn't have any gritty particles of lithium soap base. I recommend lithium based greases rather that aluminum complex or other based grease. Just rub a bit of grease between your fingers to feel for any grit. If you see any separation of oil from the grease, pick another batch with a different serial number.
                        Secondly, when you pack your bearings with grease by yourself, always start from the large end and force it all the way through to the small end. make sure there are no voids. When they are installed with the right preload, they will last a very long time.

Comment

if you need help i can help...

if it was my car i would just get a used hub from the junkyard and slap it in... i have been running around for 20,000kms on junkyard hubs and for 50 bucks you cant go wrong

may even want to think about an aspire swap while your at it....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                            if you need help i can help...

if it was my car i would just get a used hub from the junkyard and slap it in... i have been running around for 20,000kms on junkyard hubs and for 50 bucks you cant go wrong

may even want to think about an aspire swap while your at it....
                            And how! I did the full Monty with my bearings and rotors.....now I wish I just aspired it up.

-Scott
                            Aqua 93 L
                            Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                            White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Originally posted by leapin View Post
                              And how! I did the full Monty with my bearings and rotors.....now I wish I just aspired it up.
                              ya its cheaper if/when you need new pads or rotors or both... and its much eaiser to find rims... and its safer, better handling, and looks cool with the bigger brakes

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
                              X