Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Bearings Going - I have Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to be horrible, but I love the fact that I have 12's ! I like the look and the MPG that goes along with it!

Sasquatch, how long would it take for us to do both sides if I bought the bearings and brought them over? Keep in mind that I am totally dense when it comes to this stuff!

Comment

Shouldn't take long. We're talking the Sasquatch here. He don't need no stinking press, he squeezes them in by hand.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I hear he uses his teeth!

Comment

When I did my bearings I did it the old way like we use to do it on older vehicles, like back in 70's. We used sockets or pipes and big hammer to put them on. If your careful and don't beat them to death, it can be done. I did mine two years ago and the ghost is still going strong.
          Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
          93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
          01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Get a quote on the bearings and rotors. Might be cost effective to get both done at the same time. You should only be charged labour once for both.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

That is a good plan..... Unless Sasquatch is helping me out.........with his teeth ,lol .....

Comment

Originally posted by sandspringsfestiva View Post
                I had my entire front end replaced this Summer and chose to buy a real good quaility disk to put my new bearings in. Asked many repair shops to do the work and all turned me down. It seems that pressing in the new race requires a special set up press and most have seen disaster doing the work without it.

I took it to the local Ford dealership with all parts purchased from NAPA=QUALITY. It cost me around $1500 parts and labor. Brand new front end including struts, discs, and brakes for that price was well worth it. The car drives soooo much better! I slapped on a set of MICHELIN X-Ice tires when it got cold and it steers like an Indy car!
                Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
                Yeah 1500$ u got screwed bad! The parts are 350$ at the most and labor is only maybe 4 hours if u take your time. I've torn my frontend apart 3 times and it dosent take long. 1500$ for a car the kbb is worth 500$ dosent seem practical by any measure lol
                Originally posted by JPT View Post
                $1500? Even for a dealership, that's expensive. I hope they replaced EVERYTHING (down to the last nut) for that price. I also hope you got a lifetime warranty with that.

As for finding a shop to do front hubs, find a place with experience doing Kia Rios. They have the same setup.
                he said the total price was $1500 including the labor and parts.....all new front end....I would not pay that myself...would do it myself. But if you can not.....then with all he got done it does not sound to extreme to me. As for the reference to kelly blue book and the price of the car.....what does that have to do with anything at all. Sure he could have bought another car or 2 maybe....but at what state of disrepair and who would be doing the work to fix them. He got his car fixed to his liking and thought it was worth it......all that matters.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Last time I checked mine it was 595$ in good condition. Just saying that 1500$ is more than I've spent on the price of my festy and every upgrade and swap I've done. So for someone like me who is capable of doing the work myself it dosent seem practical.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                  1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                  R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                  00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                  03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                  pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                  Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                  Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
                    Last time I checked mine it was 595$ in good condition. Just saying that 1500$ is more than I've spent on the price of my festy and every upgrade and swap I've done. So for someone like me who is capable of doing the work myself it dosent seem practical.
                    I understand the part of being able to do it yourself....I would too. But no matter the value of the car.....if the work needs done it needs done....kelleys blue book should not determine what you spend to keep your car running. We all know that these cars are worth more then what a book says it is.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      I understand the part of being able to do it yourself....I would too. But no matter the value of the car.....if the work needs done it needs done....kelleys blue book should not determine what you spend to keep your car running. We all know that these cars are worth more then what a book says it is.
                      I agree that it dosent influince the decision of fixing it or not. That's why I will never sell my festy, I've got more money than what it is worth, and I will never get my money back out of it. I've had almost 20 cars/ trucks in the 6 yrs I've been driving and the festy has been the one car I will never part with! I can't think of a more reliable, cheap to fix/ upgrade car that gets amazing mileage and will take a beating every day and still run like a dream.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                      1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                      R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                      00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                      03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                      pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                      Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                      Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Although at some point one may want to step back and say "hmmm. I could spend $1500 on this one, or I could spend $750 on one that is in better condition, and keep the old one for parts (can never have too many parts, lol)"

For me anyway, I got a quote from a place for $150 per side to do the bearings (which I assume is at $100/hr) so I am thinking the book time on it is 3hrs or so.....In which case, if I were to bring over $75 and a pizza (along with the bearings) over to Sasquatch's place.............Would that be cool, or am I too cheap?

Let me know Sasquatch......

Comment

pizza = good

i dont have a press so the only thing we could do is just swap in some junk yard hubs... and that would only take like and hour

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Sounds good....... I am in no rush, so just PM me when the time is right.......

Ps. What is a hub? Wow I suck hey?

Comment

I just had an idea. I'm going to paint the size of the shim on the hubs I'm ovehauling so they can't get mixed up.
                              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                              X