Installing brake calipers and pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
    Probably a dumb question, and slightly irrelevant. I just replaced my brake pads and have no idea what pad shims are. I just slid the old pads out and the new pads in. What do the shims look like?
    Here ya go. One on the outer, two for the inner. The copper washers on the other hand, are for the banjo bolts to prevent brake fluid from leaking.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8Q...2NjMy&hl=en_US
    Last edited by shampooking; 06-20-2011, 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
    http://kiaprideclub.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Send your hub, spindle & bearings to someone with a selection of shims. Hopefully you havent spun a race,otherwise you are going to be looking for a spindle also.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

nitrofarm: The hand crafted shim has been removed from between the front bearings. The wheel has a bit of play which I will try to resovle by tightening the axle nut, perhaps today. The shim was only in during two trips up and down the driveway. After removing the shim the car was driven around the neighbourhood and the tires pulled on vigorously to check for play. One of the rear tires has a bit of play in it as well. The rear bearings are set by feel like on a bicycle but not the fronts as I have learned. If a front wheel (hub assembly) feels stiff after installing new bearings it should be installed on the car and test driven as the weight of the car will seat the bearings and loosen them up. That's what I assume happens. I've added a note to that effect to the project photos at Photobucket.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          nitrofarm: The hand crafted shim has been removed from between the front bearings. The wheel has a bit of play which I will try to resovle by tightening the axle nut, perhaps today. The shim was only in during two trips up and down the driveway. After removing the shim the car was driven around the neighbourhood and the tires pulled on vigorously to check for play. One of the rear tires has a bit of play in it as well. The rear bearings are set by feel like on a bicycle but not the fronts as I have learned. If a front wheel (hub assembly) feels stiff after installing new bearings it should be installed on the car and test driven as the weight of the car will seat the bearings and loosen them up. That's what I assume happens. I've added a note to that effect to the project photos at Photobucket.
          Dude this isnt a bike. And you dont adjust end play with the axle nut. And the bearings need to be seated on the work bench. I'm trying to warn you that you are in grave danger of destroying some of the most difficult pieces to aquire on these cars. The Knuckles & hubs. There is a specific SIMPLE procedure for setting up the end play. It involves a torque wrench & spacers.Takes about 1hr depending on how close you can guess on the first spacer. The right way is always more difficult,but the end result is always better! I'm not trying to bust your chops. But prevent you from really damaging some valuable parts. Too tight you spin the race. Too loose you destroy the bearing. The loads on these bearings are way more than a bike. Peace & Good Luck.
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
          X