Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

top end rattle, anyone run a B3 without the valve cover on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only retapped what was left in there from a loose bolt smashing around about the top half of the threads. I used a bolt just a little longer than oem and it went down further in the threads.

Comment

Yeah, that won't work for me. Only about 1 thread left in the bottom.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Picked up a helicoil kit today, $40 for 10 inserts plus $2.50 for a bit. I could do all the threaded holes now if I wanted. I need to get a steel block to drill a hole thru for a pilot now. That way I can sit the block on the location so the drill stays square to the hole. Or is that overkill?
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Not overkill, but is a good idea! If you have access to a drill press, just drill a hole in a piece of steel or aluminum the size as the O.D. of the tap, and tap through the drilled block to keep it straight.

EDIT: For a one time shot at tapping the helicoil, a wood block will work the same as the steel, for once the tap is started straight with 2-3 threads, it will stay straight.
          Last edited by drddan; 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
            Picked up a helicoil kit today, $40 for 10 inserts plus $2.50 for a bit. I could do all the threaded holes now if I wanted. I need to get a steel block to drill a hole thru for a pilot now. That way I can sit the block on the location so the drill stays square to the hole. Or is that overkill?
            No, that's not overkill, that's a very good idea. Yeah, it takes a little longer, but it's going to give you piece of mind.
            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

My problem is I don't have access to a chunk of steel or aluminum that thick. I could likely get a piece of oak from my neighbor, and I have a 6" jointer so I know the bottom is true and a floor mounted drill press.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Okay, I obtained a piece of 1" plate from my neighbor, so today I cut off a 2"x3" piece and drilled two holes in it, one to screw into the good hole to hold the guide in place, and the second, for the hole to be drilled. This took a couple hours to make and install the helicoil, but it worked. But it felt funny torqueing it down. I first tightened everything down with my 1/4" ratchet, I needed to make sure the springs weren't between the shaft and the saddle like the PO installed it. I used the torque wrench to back them off just a bit, only one made it click at 20 ft/lbs. Put it all together, put the charger ion the battery and she started right up. Took it for a ride, maybe I shoulda kept that clutch I bought for the other car, this clutch feels almost gone.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                X