Aspire CV axle removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
    I was worried about hitting the axel hub nut cause i thought it might damage the joints, or bind something..but it might work! If you hold your tongue just right when you hit the inner cup with a rubber mallet it doesnt take any real force to get it started.. just a little tap. Those clips are such a PITA.. I cant wait to replace my clutch in a couple weeks, i might end up having to find a little tool like you used. I wonder how much slide pull hammers cost at HF.
    My HF slide hammer was $60.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Latest issue. I notice that the Aspire's new driver's side axle seal is leaking. Tmw I will pull the speedo drive to see how much. I have about 200+ miles on the car since I did the axle.

What would make it leak? Just trying to get some ideas to speed things up a little tmw, and not be reinventing the wheel so much.

The new pass. side seal seems nice and dry BTW.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Damaging the seal when removing the axle will cause it to leak. It happened to me on my axle thread thread.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
          Damaging the seal when removing the axle will cause it to leak. It happened to me on my axle thread thread.
          This is a new seal I put in after removing the old axle, then I installed the new axle.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• My bad. If you damaged the surface the seal sits in it can cause it to leak.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
              My bad. If you damaged the surface the seal sits in it can cause it to leak.
              I tried to be careful; lubed the seal where it would contact the axle; and lubed the axle where the seal would go on too, to make it all slide easily, with no friction to bind the seal up. Maybe something will be obvious when I closely inspect it tmw.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• also, if the seal wasn't seated straight, the actual sealing surface will be skewed and will cause a leak. And, if the seal is installed properly, there can still be a leak due to defect OR scuffing the seal by not lubing the unput shaft before insertion.

i type slow...
                Last edited by FestYboy; 09-19-2011, 09:21 PM.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Run your finger around the hole in the transmission. See if you can feel any nicks, cracks, chips, scratches.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    also, if the seal wasn't seated straight, the actual sealing surface will be skewed and will cause a leak. And, if the seal is installed properly, there can still be a leak due to defect OR scuffing the seal by not lubing the unput shaft before insertion.

i type slow...
                    Thanks, tried to be careful to install it straight, and did lube the input shaft. Maybe something obvious will jump out at me tmw.

Was considering driving it to Madness instead of the Festy, but not so much now. Plus the Aspire leaks at the front crank seal.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• bring the aspire... we'll fix you up there!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        bring the aspire... we'll fix you up there!
                        Ooooohhh, now we're talking! I'll bring the new parts.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• good! we'll have LOTS to talk about....

Comment

• Checked out the left axle seal, and its leaking from the inner part where it contacts the axle itself. So it's probably skewed a little. But when I checked the fluid level, it was fine, after 200+ miles of driving; so no worries driving it to Madness. I'll just check it twice on the way. My motor oil leak is minor too; probably won't have to add any, or very little, until I get there.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              Thanks, tried to be careful to install it straight, and did lube the input shaft. Maybe something obvious will jump out at me tmw.

Was considering driving it to Madness instead of the Festy, but not so much now. Plus the Aspire leaks at the front crank seal.
                              Whats Madness ? Never mind I just answered my own question.Sounds like an awesome good time! My wife's brother lives in Raliegh.If I had a brain I could have tricked her into going. Snap! Not to mention its changeover week for me at work. Meaning I have 7 days off in a row :banghead:
                              Last edited by Pu241; 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• then what's stopping you???!!

Comment

Working...
                                X