Festiva Pings Bad Once Warmed up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^what he said

You may also want to install a new fuel filter as added insurance. It does sound like a fuel mixture issue and not just a timing issue. That explains why it wouldn't ping when it was cold....since the fuel mixture is fat during warm-up mode.

Pull the plugs out as well and take a look at them. They can give you some good info about what's going on during the combustion process.

One other possibility...is there a lot of blow-by, or a lot of oil in the air intake tube that goes from the VAF meter to the throttle body? As these cars age, they develop blow-by and can blow some oil into the air intake tube via the PCV fresh air hose. If this oil builds up in the tube, it can run down into the VAF meter and/or even run back into the throttle body. When that happens, it will ping like crazy.
    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-01-2012, 04:33 PM.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Carbon Build up?

He didnt mention the mileage or oil useage. Could he b e having pre ignition from carbon? Just seems odd that it went away when he retarded.And now its come back?
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Kinda should take a timing light and shoot ignition timing marks and cam timing marks. Shoot the timing marks with the computer back in control and make sure that while reving it
        you do not see more than 45 deg advance.

Do a top end cleaning treatment. Inspect plugs for proper heat range, compare looks
        from cylinder to cylinder.

Make sure there are no air pockets in your cooling system and that there are
        no other signs of possible head gasket problems.

No moisture in cap..wires separated properly..

Any changes in parts or symptoms that coincided with the ping?

Possible valve burning but would be accompanied with other symptoms..
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
          He didnt mention the mileage or oil useage.
          This statement is what made me question the blow-by....

Originally posted by Grouper View Post
          Im running reg grade pump gas, and she doesnt puff blue, but her oil definitly seems to dissapear if thats a clue.....
          Thanks guys!
          Although, I see what you're saying. If it was sucking oil, it would still ping even with the timing dialed back.

When my blow-buy got pretty bad, my B3 acted the same way. The excess oil in the air tube would build up and it would lose power. Then after it collected so much oil in the air tube, it would actually suck it through the throttle body and ping like crazy....until it sucked the oil out and the process started over. Pretty crazy, LOL.
          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-02-2012, 08:57 AM.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Well thanks for the fresh ideas guys, I will check the listed posibilitys and get back to you,
            Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
            X