Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer

My speedometer broke. Is it a cheap and easy fix?

sent from my EVO in my Festiva
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

"Speedo" could be many things. Most likely the cable broke in which case you will have to try to track down a used one that is complete sheath and cable, or cable only. A very long extension and 10mm socket will allow you to undo the sending unit at the very back of the engine so that you can get at the cable connection. I had the nylon gear wheel on the unit inside the transmission split at one time. Have also had situations where the actual instrument panel developed a jumping indicator. A replacement instrument panel (which is not a big job) fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
      My speedometer broke. Is it a cheap and easy fix?

Need more info....what broke? What are the symptoms?
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Well there's really only 3 things to go wrong... the gear in the tranny (worst case senario)... the cable.. or the cluster itself

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

All I know is i was dribing and the speedometer went to zero. And the odometer doesn't work either

First time owner

Comment

The odometer works off the cable as well......... first thing i would do is remove the speedo cable from the car, spin the gear on the transmission end of the cable and see if it spins at the cluster end of the cable, that'll tell you if the cables good or not

If the cable is good, you'd be able to stick your finger in the transmission where the cable goes and feel the speedo gear, if you can not spin the gear with your fingerand the teeth on the gear are good, then thats not the problem

If the cable and gear turn out to be good, then chances are you need a new cluster

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Cable most likely broke. Get a new/used one from a junkyard, spray some lubricant down the new tube and install the reverse of removing the old one.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

^What Damkid said.
                ~Jeff
                1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Cable seems to be stuck inside the tranny

First time owner

Comment

Did you try to take off the 10mm bolt right beside the cable end?

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

I unscrewed the cable. Is the bolt beside it part of the cable

First time owner

Comment

When you remove that bolt you should be able to pull the whole speedo gear assym. out with the cable.
                        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

When I removed mine I had to soak it repeatedly in liquid wrench, then let it sit for a day or so
                          Owner of:
                          1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                          In progress:
                          BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Also, know that the tab that the bolt goes through is very susceptible to breaking away from the gear assembly.

Comment

Here is a picture from the Haynes Manual.
                              The view is from underneath and behind but it can be accessed from above just as easily.
                              The bolt is to the left of the cable when standing in front of the car.
                              It will take a lot of force to remove the cable from the transmission but make sure you don't pull on the cable sheath or you may break it. I made this mistake once..

Here are some Festivas in the area.
                              Speedo cable is about $12 if you need one.
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                              X