strange grinding and oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange grinding and oil leak

i went to start the car the other day and i heard sorta of a crunching noise like something was caught in a belt. i looked under the hood and didnt see anything. tried starting it again and it was fine.

now every once in a while (maybe once every mile) i hear a grinding sound for a second. sounds sorta like metal dragging, it does change sound with speed or engine rpm... always the same sound.... varies from half a second to 2 seconds long. seems to happen randomly as well.

and then i noticed i had a pretty bad oil leak. the oil level is still fine in the car, but it left a 4 in puddle under my car when i parked for about half an hour yesterday. i drove it home and parked it until i can figure out whats going on. the leak appears to be coming from the side of the block near the tranny... not the oil pan.

Rest main seal is probably the leak your seeing, idk about the noise though.
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

does the car have to be in motion to hear the noise, or will it do it sitting in nutral?
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

trans input bearing and seal...
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^ very likely that!

Jason, you need to see me about that trans...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Or worse case, the diff pin started coming out (but not all the way out) and put a hole in your bell housing.... That happened to me, drove the car home, pulled the engine thinking i needed to change the rear main but ended up putting a new tranny in

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              ^ very likely that!

Jason, you need to see me about that trans...
              yes. and tires.

it does it while im sitting as well because it did it when i started the car that first time. that was the only time i heard it while sitting. it happens enough to scare me, but not enough to analyze it very wellsometimes while accelerating, sometimes while decelerating. sometimes when i hit a bump. sometimes when im just cruising

i guess i need to get it in the shop and see whats up. the car is parked for now

gahhh.... so much to do
              Last edited by Ghost; 11-02-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

oh btw... it is definitely leaking engine oil, not tranny fluid.

and the grinding sound sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay

Comment

Quick check would be to inspect drive belt and pulleys.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

i have several times and i cannot find anything

Comment

timing tentioner bearing?

Comment

Maybe the oil leak could be the distributor O ring. Or even the valve cover gasket.

Comment

yeah i guess it is possible that the two arent related

Comment

A piece of garden hose in one ear might help locate the noise. My engine is just naturally noisy making it hard to locate sounds without some sort of aid.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I would remove the v-belt and see if it still does it. That would let you know if it was alternator or water pump bearings or not. While you have the belt off- spin them and see how they feel. If it makes the noise with the v-belt off then I would suspect the timing belt tensioner. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X