No announcement yet.

WHAT AM I MISSING?! Crank, no start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I get this second festiva, I'll probably tow with it late at night.
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

EFF EMM ELLLLLL

Festiva1 was towed home today. Got the alt off, tested. It failed before the test even began. (Less than a week old)

SO I get a new one... put it on. No start. New ICM tested bad again. I was CONFIDENT it would start after replacing this, because it did last time.

Took the one from festiva2(KGP) and STILL no start.

Swapped distributor units.... STTIILLLL no start!??!

WHAT GIVES!??!

All fuses are good. CEL still isn't on with key on

Is it possible the ECM is fried?

The ICM and seemingly seat belt module/motor fried along with the fuses before the new alt, it's possible, right?
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

That car is evil. It should become a backburner project.

Comment

Check grounds, one is in engine compartment near the coolant temp sensor.Check battery negative where it bolts to car. Another ground is at the left hand rear of engine compartment at frame. Check ground at left hand of instrument panel on cowl side, this ground is used by the computer and the restraint system. Check the two main restraint grounds, one under the drivers seat and one on the back panel near where the hatch latches. The check engine light power comes from the meter fuse. The ground is the computer.The computer grounds are the first three listed above. Good luck and report back
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks Movin, I'll try that.

George... I agree. This car is pretty evil now, lol.

It gave me 15,000 problem free miles in like 9 months and now I can't get the friggin thing to start for the life of me! LOL. Giving up isn't an option though, I can't afford to use the GP on the paper route.
            Buck.

Comment

Ok, I'm about to freaking cry. God this is so upsetting. Y U NO START DUMB FESTY?!?!?! I MISS YOU!!!!!!!
              Buck.

Comment

It HAS to be the ECM at this point, does it not!?!?
                Buck.

Comment

Tested the fuel pump via the lead... it works.
                  Buck.

Comment

Turn the key on and unplug the vaf, does the cel light come on?
                    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I unplugged the MAF THEN turned the key on and it doesn't come on... that was earlier. Does order matter?
                      Buck.

Comment

order shouldn't matter.
                        Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                        1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

I had a problem like this before . On one car it was the vaf and the other car it was the ten pin connection under the battery that had loose corroded wires . Just ideas.
                          New build on the way .

Comment

According to my '92 wiring manual, no CEL is not indicative of a bigger issue. It just says to check the bulb and the wire that runs from the ECA to the left instrument connector.

Comment

You noticed a change in the cel brightness and the seat belt motor ?? The Cel is powered by the fuse mentioned earlier and from the fusible links you fixed at the start of all this. It is turned off and on by the ecm. The ecm has several grounds mentioned earlier. If the light is dim it sounds like the ecm is working but has a bad ground.
                              The seat belt is powered by the fuse mentioned earlier and from there back to the same fusible links you fixed in the beginning. Please put a test light on that 30 amp fuse under the dash with the key on then push the switch in the door jam to make the seat belt operate. The light should stay fairly bright. The gauge fuse should also be bright with the key on. report back..its not hard really..
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                                It HAS to be the ECM at this point, does it not!?!?
                                No not necessarily but it may be damaged. Its not the cause its just another symptom. So far you have burned up fuses, an ICM & Alt. Look for bad grounds like "movin" has suggested.And visually check the white wires coming off the Alt for potential grounding. Also is the 10a fuse under dash labeled "Room" good? Thats what supplies power to ECM.
                                Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-11-2011, 11:19 AM.
                                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                                X