No announcement yet.

What to do when you can't remove your CV Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ lol...should have been transmission fluid, and yea, it will definately happen if you don't drain it first!

....I did the same thing my first time lol

My first ~7 cv axels all had to be pulled with a slide pull hammer, and I still feel that's the best way to do it without damaging anything, but these last few I finally found out it is possible to pull them with a prybar.

The harbor freight prybars are all I use, except a flatbar from who knows where 20 years ago sometimes.. anyway I just hit one of the forks on the HF bar with a grinder to smooth it out a little, and wedge it in behind the cv. Once your sure the cv is pulled out to the point the c clip is touching the spider gear in the transmission, smack the end of the prybar really good a few times like your driving it in behind the cv cup. That will break the grip the c clip has and it will pull out freely. No need for using 2 prybars or 3 Germans and a Mexican holding their tongues right.
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-30-2012, 03:04 AM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
    X