No fuel/ power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fuel/ power?

When I start car it's like it's not getting fuel. Yesterday morning it was doing this and my fuel pump had leak. What else do I need to look at. If it still does this when I switch pumps?

89 Festiva. carby. needs repairs!!
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

That pin hole leak, was it on the side of the diaphragm that has the nipples?
    If your pump diaphragm was ruptured you may have sealed the vent.

If you got a new pump the arm, gaskets everything has to be the same.

you didn't reverse hoses??

It was running fine just leaking, right ??
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Jb weld the hole. Made it home 30 miles away. The car was missing and backfiring a little. It's like I press The gas all The way down to go speed limit. When I take off. I have to give more gas than normal to before letting off clutch.
      I don't know where to start Fixing the issues.
      Will timing make it run like this?

Oh and when I first start the car. I have to hold the gas down all the way for it to idle to keep from dying. Until it gets warmed up. But that's after it finally starts.

I'm thinking something with not getting fuel or Carb is messed up.

First time owner

Comment

you didn't reverse hoses??

It was running fine just leaking, right ??
        My vacuum hoses may be wrong places.
        Car was has been running rough before the leak.

First time owner

Comment

fuel filtre is on the lower firewall on the driver's side. cheap item to replace. another filtre in the gas tank. dirt in gas tank? access is through floorboards at the back. I forget if you have to remove the back seat or just folt it up, then lift carpet and remove trap door panel. clogged fule line? disconnect and blow.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            fuel filtre is on the lower firewall on the driver's side. cheap item to replace. another filtre in the gas tank. dirt in gas tank? access is through floorboards at the back. I forget if you have to remove the back seat or just folt it up, then lift carpet and remove trap door panel. clogged fule line? disconnect and blow.
            Replaced fuel filter. Didnt help.
            I'll look at the filter in gas tank. Didn't know about that one. I have ran it out of gas a few time's.
            I'll blow her hoses.

First time owner

Comment

Does mine have a filter in the gas tank? I'm just asking because different years are different.

First time owner

Comment

By the way. I'm also getting oil in the air filter area. Need help with that too.

First time owner

Comment

You have a strainer on the sending unit but don't mess with that until do the easy stuff. The oil in the filter has something to do with the valve cover baffle being clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                    By the way. I'm also getting oil in the air filter area. Need help with that too.

^DONT WORRY BOUT THAT. ONE DISASTER AT A TIME,OK.
                    Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    That pin hole leak, was it on the side of the diaphragm that has the nipples?
                    If your pump diaphragm was ruptured you may have sealed the vent
                    JBUCK,answer movins question please. Was the hole you JB Welded on the top or bottom? You said the air cleaner assembly chaffed into the pump.Causing it to leak. That could only happen to the TOP of the pump.
                    Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Valve cover baffle? How do you fix that?

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        DONT WORRY BOUT THAT. ONE DISASTER AT A TIME,OK.

JBUCK,answer movins question please. Was the hole you JB Welded on the top or bottom? You said the air cleaner assembly chaffed into the pump.Causing it to leak. That could only happen to the TOP of the pump.
                        Yes. The top.
                        But now I have changed.
                        Fuel pump
                        Spark plugs
                        Fuel filter
                        What else?

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                          Yes. The top.
                          But now I have changed.
                          Fuel pump
                          Spark plugs
                          Fuel filter
                          What else?

Ok,so slow down and stop throwing money at the car that you dont have.I understand you really need transportation.But try to resist the urge to go purchase the first part that you suspect may be failing. With that said,have you trouble shot your ignition system? Have you trouble shot your timing (as in timing belt jumped a tooth). This wont cost you a dime. Dont just reply back, "How do I do this?" Until you have searched the forum. You said your car is back firing & has a miss. These are both symptoms that could be caused by a failing ignition system part. Or worse (but not disastrous) a timing belt that jumped a tooth.Everyone here will help you. Just be patient with us and your Festy. And dont worry bout that oil for now,ok.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                            Ok,so slow down and stop throwing money at the car that you dont have.I understand you really need transportation.But try to resist the urge to go purchase the first part that you suspect may be failing. With that said,have you trouble shot your ignition system? Have you trouble shot your timing (as in timing belt jumped a tooth). This wont cost you a dime. Dont just reply back, "How do I do this?" Until you have searched the forum. You said your car is back firing & has a miss. These are both symptoms that could be caused by a failing ignition system part. Or worse (but not disastrous) a timing belt that jumped a tooth.Everyone here will help you. Just be patient with us and your Festy. And dont worry bout that oil for now,ok.
                            Ok

First time owner

Comment

Reading your recent posts it looks like you're trying to use a $250 carbed Festiva with multiple issues for daily transportation. Hopefully the loose spark plugs issue was resolved but the vac hose routing and rough running needs to be fixed before you drive it again. Unburned fuel wreaks havoc on cylinder walls. Someone had some nice carb pictures on here this week that shows where the lines go. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X