No announcement yet.

Stripped rear axle nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The metro isn't a slow car. The G10 has plenty of torque for the size of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
      The metro isn't a slow car. The G10 has plenty of torque for the size of the car.
      I know nothing about the Metros other than they are also Suzuki Swifts and enough former owners have told me the engines were not bullet-proof. The 3 cylinder was 1000 cc and the upscale (4 doors) machines had 4 and were 1.3 litre. Apparently there is even a 1.3 turbo twin-cam version.

Now if in fact the 3-banger has enough torque then maybe it's time to hear about a Festy swap dedicated to fuel economy.

Comment

Originally posted by 92festiva_ View Post
        I'd prefer to run it stock if I can. I'm using it for lots of daily driving and I'm going for max fuel economy. Smaller profile tires help, as would less weight. I'm swapping out the auto transmission for manual later simply for economy. I want to approach geo metro levels of economy ideally.

When I want better braking and performance I'll step into a different car like the Plymouth laser / eagle talon a friend is selling.
        If you are doing hwy driving, switching to 13" Metro steelies and tires will give you slightly higher gearing overall; 155/80x13 vs. 155/80x12. It shouldn't hurt city driving much if at all. Back when my Festy had a B3, I got an honest 50 MPG in city driving, no hwy, by using hypermiling techniques.

Plus you can get higher quality tires in 13s, like the Kumho Solus with an 80,000 mile treadwear rating: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          I know nothing about the Metros other than they are also Suzuki Swifts and enough former owners have told me the engines were not bullet-proof. The 3 cylinder was 1000 cc and the upscale (4 doors) machines had 4 and were 1.3 litre. Apparently there is even a 1.3 turbo twin-cam version.

Now if in fact the 3-banger has enough torque then maybe it's time to hear about a Festy swap dedicated to fuel economy.
          I've never had a problem with the 1.0 properly maintained. The 1.3 is actually a larger version of the same engine used in Hayabusa's, and is a very strong (capable of handling abuse) engine.

The Suzuki Swift GT came with a G10T, I believe, a twin cam turbo 3 cylinder. If it wasn't the GT, there was a version of the Swift that came with a 3cylinder turbo.

I have a friend that swapped a G10 into a CRX. It handles it's own, goes 60 without a problem (he's a hypermiler) and has enough low-end to get out of it's own way. I wouldn't bother swapping a G10 into a Festiva, though, since there are so many similar sized diesels that would mount to our stock tranny with a $50 adapter plate. (Personally, I'd have done the same in a CRX, instead of the G10).

Interestingly, the stock G10's axles fit perfectly into a set of HF CRX hubs (also found on standard Civic models and I believe Auto models until 1991.) I believe they were a tad short on one side at least, though.

The biggest problem I remember about G10's was the middle cylinder overheating from plugged EGR passages. That's what I meant about "properly maintained".

Comment

I don't know a lot about metros, but even in california you see rust on them. The aspire was made into 1997 so plenty of parts available for them. If you decide you do wantmore performance you will see that kia rio parts interchange into aspires, making more recent lineage for parts bin shopping. If you swap a 5 speed and remove weight it will add a lot of zip asis. You'll want goodies for more pep I predict.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Same trouble for me, the rear passenger side spindle is stripped out, the last mech. pinched it to much. now I have to find replacement spindles, any Ideas ??? . the old nut cover and cotter pin was much better for getting the correct torque on the wheel bearing. Sometime Ford takes some bad shortcuts.
              Last edited by mrghost; 08-11-2012, 03:39 AM. Reason: specify

Comment

You're supposed to relieve the staked area before removing the nut...

Comment

Working...
                X