No announcement yet.

Engine Cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had that issue. I'd drive and the car would do some funky stuff like noticeably drop power while cruising, then have a rough and jumpy idle, stall etc. The air filter had rubbed through the fusible links and grounded out the ignition wiring or was close enough to allow the wire to arc slightly. Remember... Electricity takes the path of least resistance.
    1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
    1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
    2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      I had that issue. I'd drive and the car would do some funky stuff like noticeably drop power while cruising, then have a rough and jumpy idle, stall etc. The air filter had rubbed through the fusible links and grounded out the ignition wiring or was close enough to allow the wire to arc slightly. Remember... Electricity takes the path of least resistance.
      SO does water,and so do I.

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
        Either a clogged cat , fuel filter or fuel pump sock, might cause your problem.
        Unhooked cat from header pipe, still have issue.

Fuel filter has been changed 2000 miles ago and again recently

Fuel pump was replaced with a known good one

Still trying to figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
          Good chance that your fusible links are grounding out. see if there is any bare wires on them, Personally I'd replace them with plug-in fuses just by proxy.
          Cleaned the fueible link block and replaced with the plug in type..

Still trying to figure it out..

Comment

Originally posted by windy1 View Post
            SVO might be right.Adding : have you ever pulled all your wiring connections in engine bay. And cleaned them? Even add an xtra ground connection .
            I have cleaned
            negative battery cable ground at battery, frame and transmission.
            ground from head to strut tower,
            the wiring harness ground on the front of the engine just below the valve cover on the drivers side
            and the fusible link block and replaced with new plug in links.

Please tell me where there are more grounds I can check..

Comment

Did you block the EGR yet? unplug the vacuum hose to it
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                Did you block the EGR yet? unplug the vacuum hose to it
                To my knowledge and visual inspection there is no EGR valve on a 1990 1.3 liter festival. I do not see one on the engine anyplace and there is nothing connecting to the exhaust that leads back to an EGR. Some say the EGR is on the rear above the oil filter but it is not on my 1990 or 1993. Can yo tell me where else to look?

Richard

Comment

You are quite right, there is no EGR. Sorry to send you on a goose chase it wasn't
                  intentional.

Two more things, You did not swap the O2? try that, if your exhaust manifold is
                  rusty you can try running a jumper cable from the 7/8 bolt thread to the battery
                  negative when it is acting up. It would be good to know if when it will barely idle
                  if you spray carb cleaner or propane into the plastic intake where the little L hose
                  attaches if you can make it idle good that way or if it is worse.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

OK. I have done/tried everything eveyone suggested here to no avail. As of last evening the car would still not stay running when hot but would restart as soon as it died, run a minute otr two and die again.

T

Comment

OK, I have done/tried everything that was sugested here and then some. As of last evening the car would not stay running when it was hot. It would stall out. It would immediatly reatrt run a minute or two and stall again. I could do this all night long. T

Comment

Sorry, continuance from fat fingers on previous post

This was progress. It was to the point that it would die randomly and not restart. The last thing that I knew I had to do was swap out the radiator. The radiator had a piece of the plastic where the upper hose connects that was missing and was leaing around the top seam. I never let the car overheat or run out of coolant I was just procratinating replacing it until I figured out why it would not run. I basically ran the system with the cap loose.

Today the radiator arrived, swapped it out filled her up let it build pressure and run for 2 hours in the driveway keeping an eye out for leaks and fullness (did not go for a ride because I forgot to get tranny fliud). It ran flawlesly. I find it hard to believe this was the issue. I am far from a mechanic but

Comment

I did it again. I am so sorry..

I am far from a mechanic but I get by. Anyone have any thoughts concerning the radiator actually being the issue off it dieing when hot?? Also why does my idle drop when the electric fan comes on, charging systing is putting out 14.?? (dont remember) volts when whether it is on or off.

As for the radiator, I did tappets awhile back and I would rather do that job again than replace the radiator. Freakin tranny coolant lines sucked.

Comment

Working...
                          X