No announcement yet.

Speedometer driven gear removal - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing... I called my brother-in-law I got the car from, and he said that wasn't the stock gear, it had been replaced when he had broken the tab off of it, trying to get it out! Ha! It's all good. I'm hitting up the junkyard today or tomorrow, and I have the GPS in there for now.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
      Do you have an Automatic or 5-speed? I know 5-speed gears are the same as I have a Festy 5-speed in one of my Aspires and I am using the Aspire gear.I thought the Autos while different than the 5-speed were also the same.
      Now this is worthy of investigation. I grabbed the speedo gear from a 97 ATX Aspire as a spare, only to discover that they are not compatible with any 92-93 Festy models and yet you assure us that Festy MTX gears will fit in an MTX Aspire. And I can confirm that a swapped speedo gear from an auto Festy into a stick Festy is a "go" because I did two of these a few years ago (all between 92 and 93 models).

Summary: Festy speedo gear MTX compatible with Aspire MTX
      Festy speedo gear ATX compatible with Festy MTX
      Therefore Festy speedo gear ATX and MTX interchangeable with Aspire MTX.

I'd be very interested in hearing comments about tooth counts of Festy gears VS Aspire. May be an opportunity to sync speedos while you're doing an Aspire brake and wheel swap.

ATX Aspire gear from a 97 4 door is blue and has 21 teeth.

Comment

Aspire MTX gear is white with 21 teeth and measures 3 5/16 inches from bottom of retaining flange to end of gear and the gear is 1 inch in diameter.The Festy MTX gear I have is an exact twin of the MTX Aspire gear.I don't know about ATX Aspire gear as I have never had one out to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by rickbz28 View Post
          Aspire MTX gear is white with 21 teeth and measures 3 5/16 inches from bottom of retaining flange to end of gear and the gear is 1 inch in diameter.The Festy MTX gear I have is an exact twin of the MTX Aspire gear.I don't know about ATX Aspire gear as I have never had one out to look at.
          Thank you laddy. I only have a loose Aspire gear to go from and everything else I have is mounted in cars. But now we know 21 teeth for Aspire MTX. What is Festy? Hopefully someone out there is going out to the back shed to have a look.

Comment

replaced the one I broke with one from a '96 Aspire MTX (Fitting since that is what my engine is out of)... EXACTLY the same.

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
            X