HELP! SERIOUS STUTTER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! SERIOUS STUTTER!

So this morning I was driving... In 2nd gear between 20-25mph the Festiva shuttered. Kinda hiccuped. Once I was going faster it was fine. It kept doing it in 2nd. Drove it a while, and it started doing it in first too! The on the way home it was stuttering clear up to when I was doing 75 on the freeway! The only thing I could think of is that I put a bottle of gumout fuel system cleaner in it, and i put it in AFTER filling up my last tank, instead of before.

Any ideas what could be happening?

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
    1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
    1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
    1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
    1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

You might have too much Gumout for the amount of gas.

Comment

I just filled it up with Premium. It held about 7 gallons.

Comment

Pull yours plugs and check for hairline cracks in the porcelain. Just one tiny crack and it will cause a stutter.
        ~Brian

Comment

How much Gumout?

Comment

Plugs and wires. Plugs and wires. I had the same issue. It was plugs and wires.
            '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
            '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
            '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
            '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
            '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
            '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
            '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Not the gumout. David88 might be on to something. When was the last time you did a tuneup? A really easy way to check the wires is wait till dark, be somewhere with little light, and lift the hood with the engine running. Look all along the wires for little blue flashes from wires to ground. If it looks like the fourth of July under there, or even just the occasional flash, do a full tuneup.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I had friends who's (jeep) tps was bad enough, that they just thought their trans was actually going out! Imagine how relieved they were when I replaced that for them.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                  I had friends who's (jeep) tps was bad enough, that they just thought their trans was actually going out! Imagine how relieved they were when I replaced that for them.
                  HA!

I had a recent employer who paid 2 grand for a new transmission on his tow truck, turned out all they replaced was the TPS, and pretended the job took longer than estimated.

I hate transmission shops....
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Take a clean cloth and wipe off the igniton wires and distributor cap and see if that clears it up before spending time and money on the problem. If you can, remove the spark plugs and clean them too, and if possible crimp the ends of the ignition wires a bit to ensure good contact. While the spark plugs are out you could compare their condition to a spark plug chart on the Internet.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I had infrequent engine stutter and occasional engine 'quits' last fall. Ultimately it turned out to be the electric sensor inside the distributor (EFI engine) that was beginning to fail. Situations like this can drive us (me, for sure) mad because injector cleaner, new fuel pump, plugs/wires/cap/rotor did not correct the problem over the course of a few months and I only ever did find out because the car died outright out on the road one day and after being towed home a replacement dizzie rectified that plus all the previous problems instantly.

Comment

Yee-haw... my poor little car is a Bucking Bronco in first gear this morning.

I ran it last night after dark, and no sparks. The plugs are new within the last 6 weeks, as are the wires.

I guess I'm going to do a cap/rotor tonight and see if that fixes the problem... Hmmm... I'm getting seriously frustrated. It won't do it for 10 minutes of stop and go, and then it'll buck. Sometimes it bucks only in 2nd gear, sometimes it's in 1-2-3. Usually the bucking isn't as bad, or it's not there at all, if I'm driving it like a racecar, foot down from take off...

Comment

Fuel filter?
                          -Zack
                          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                            Fuel filter?
                            That is what I'm thinking...

Comment

Sometimes my car stutters too, more often in second gear, and occasionally in higher gears. I noticed it would happen more and more frequently the emptier my gas tank is (it starts at around 1/2 tank). Once I fill up the tank, the stuttering disappears almost completely. I'm thinking it might be a fuel filter issue of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                              X