"blow by" in my Festiva's motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "blow by" in my Festiva's motor?

Yesterday I took my car to the same shop which recently changed the water pump, alternator, timing belt, alternator belt and the two oil seals on the crank and cam shafts behind the timing belt: Where they also replaced the valve cover gasket at the same time, which seemed to be leaking too.

The reason I returned the car to them was because the alternator belt was squealing at low idle speeds; when I had to goose the gas pedal a little to make the engine idle faster, to keep the motor from dying. They tightened the belt at no charge, which seems to've solved the belt squealing problem.

Before the work described was done, the motor had been using increasing amounts of oil; and there was a lot of oil in the area of the timing belt cover, and all over the alternator too-which probably contributed to an early failure of the alternator. Since having the recent work done, however; the oil consumption has seemed to increase rather than decrease. I'd wanted to monitor this a little more, to make sure my impressions were accurate, before trying to see what was happening; though since I had the car in the shop, I asked them to see if they had an opinion.

What I was told is the motor is suffering "blow by" I've heard of with other older cars; though hadn't considered as likely in my Festiva, before now. Though I've lately noticed evidence of a little smoke if the motor has been running awhile and is hot, when I remove the oil fill cap on the top of the valve cover; I haven't noticed that there seems a lot or any pressure being released inside the crankcase, when the fill cap is off while the motor is running. There is a lot of oil on the outside of the motor in the area of the distributor, I've noticed for some time. I replaced the distributor not long after the work the shop did, because oil inside of the distributor cap, suggesting the distributor was worn enough a new one was needed.

The person at the shop who told me "blow by" is the reason for the car's oil consumption which makes the crankcase leak; tried to explain to me what "blow by" is, I'd heard of before and felt I sort of understood, beforehand. Though the more I try to understand what he told me, the less I feel I understand that. All I'm really sure of, is that there is supposed to be pressure inside the crankcase; and that this is a sign of the motor wearing out.

As one might guess, this isn't welcome news; with the motor nearing 180,000 miles I've had since 85,000 miles, when purchased June of '99. The spark plugs have always looked excellent when I change those, with no sign of oil in the combustion chamber; and the same even, slightly tan white dusty color, and not too much deterioration of the electrodes. The gap typically widens a little over time, I'd re-gap once during the course of the life of a set of plugs before finally changing those; though other than that I've done nothing else to the plugs, nor have noticed anything unusual about them.

There was a connecting rod and probably a piston replaced the winter/spring of 2002; when a connecting rod was bent and for awhile I'd thought I'd lose the car, I had to leave with someone who managed to fix the motor for me. Though since the plugs all look the same when being changed, this makes me feel that work was well done; and nothing is out of the ordinary with that particular cylinder.

This has always made me feel confident that the general condition of the motor is excellent; which the car's exceptionally good gas mileage and generally good running, also help to give the same impression. Though now I'm faced with the idea the motor is in some sort of an advanced stage of deterioration. I'm wondering if the shop could somehow be mistaken; or if not, I need to know more about what "blow by" is, and what sort of life is left to the motor now?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how, if the piston rings are in good enough condition there is no oil in the combustion chambers; why there is pressure from combustion, getting into the crankcase and causing that to leak?

The shop's inspection also revealed oil leaking from the seal around the oil pan; and since I used the Auto-Rx treatment at about 130,000 miles, this has been the reason I've thought I'm having oil leak problems, others at this website also agree could be the case. [http://www.auto-rx.com/ The same sort of problem, many years ago with cars built before there were high detergent oils, being switched to those high detergent oils from the older oil; which could ruin a motor, by all the crud which the high detergent oils released. The person at the shop also told me that my use of synthetic oil, would typically create more leakage than with normal oil; if there were places that oil might leak.

I've driven a lot of highway miles with the Festiva, and feel driving to Seattle and back often over 75 mph to keep up with traffic, is hard on the motor; compared to loafing along around 65 or a little less-which also gives better gas mileage. One thing I noticed about this Festiva's motor, which happened before I got the car; is the timing belt cover is heat distorted, I've never seen on other Festivas. Since the cars are known as running cool, and the car's radiator fan didn't work when purchased; this suggests something severe may've happened to the motor before my purchase.

Typically the car's radiator cooling fan hasn't worked, since the thermostat controlling the fan is dysfunctional; and the past few years the car seems to generally run hotter than when first purchased: This could be simply that my driving situations are different; with more high speed freeway miles, than open country roads at slower speeds. For the first few years I had the Festiva, I didn't even notice the fan didn't work.

The person selling the car to me, the original owner who was a jet helicopter mechanic in the Coast Guard, hasn't seemed to be entirely honest or trustworthy either. Since a recent brake job he'd done was one selling point, and I later had a brake malfunction causing a minor accident; where the mechanic at the Ford dealership I took the car to after the malfunction, pointed out lack of lubrication of the pin one of the front calipers has to float on to center the caliper on the rotor, is what caused the malfunction. The whole inside of the engine compartment had apparently been detailed extensively also, to give the impression of a motor and car in better general condition than was actually the case.

He also tried to discourage me from changing the timing belt; as if those could go on indefinitely without need of replacement, so like he was trying to encourage someone he presumed a fool, to be even more foolish. Once I'd exhibited a generally good mechanical knowledge in the process of buying the car I paid $2500 for, this seemed to make him considerably nervous. His wife was so generally positive and friendly, this overcame any negative feelings I might've had for the Coast Guard guy. I also noticed their teenage son seemed to perhaps regard me with some hostility; so I've wondered if their selling the car may've been some sort of discipline of him, and/or that he may've been who actually did the sloppy brake job?

Being what I guess many might call a "hippy" too, makes me feel a little insecure or paranoiac dealing with strangers; for the potential of any prejudices involved. Though that adage I've seen in Latin since so ancient; about "the buyer being beware" is certainly worth thinking through. Not too many people selling something they never expect to see again, to someone they also don't plan on having anything more to do with; are likely to want to give a negative impression about themselves, or about what they are trying to sell.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Highway miles increase oil consumption a great deal, on a healthy or not healthy engine. Check replace the PCV valve and inspect the line for a split on it at both ends. There is a little merit in adding an additive or going back and forth between oil brands can clean up and/or free up deposits, or break off a false seal, but after more oil changes it should level out. If the engine is not down on power and the compression can be tested you will know if its the piston rings. Id just use one of those high mileage oils and check levels more often. Nothing you pour in the crankcase is going to fix what is wrong, but if the car runs fine using more oil then simply buy more oil. I know how it is when you are broke or simply cannot afford downtime of a car not running.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Sorry, I only glossed over this lengthy "War&Peace" epistle (so far), but it sounds like a classic PTBarnum dialogue that invokes; "there's a sucker born every minute".
      Bob, you carefully diagnosed and very proudly re-did your own distributor (albeit not cheap) a few months back. Why do you keep going back for more punishment from the commercial side of life?

Comment

Bob remember, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.

Your suspicions are at least partially right. These guys are fixing stuff for you because you're requesting it, and then cheerfully paying them. They don't want you or your car to go away, anymore than one would want an egg laying chicken to be eaten. They/somebody knew (I realize that over time, several mechanics have been involved) that engine needed a total overhaul when that rod got replaced, because the major part of that work was taking that engine apart. If that would have been done then, none of this would be happening right now, unless it would benefit who? You because it was "le$$" money, them because it was a guarantee of a return visit.
        Yes of course you can replace single calipers, or one set of brake shoes, or one con rod, or one piston, or even just the rings on one piston, but only under the universally accepted notion that the repair is to be considered "stop gap" only, and things will now be out of balance, and things out of balance deteriorate more quickly...sometimes shockingly quick.
        Now is the time to spend the money you saved back when, Time to pay the piper

And Bert, this one's for you...my favorite PTBarnum quote "Ladies and gentlemen, This way to see the great egress!"
        Last edited by iceracerdude; 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM.
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

sorry about my writing style!

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          Sorry, I only glossed over this lengthy "War&Peace" epistle (so far), but it sounds like a classic PTBarnum dialogue that invokes; "there's a sucker born every minute".
          Bob, you carefully diagnosed and very proudly re-did your own distributor (albeit not cheap) a few months back. Why do you keep going back for more punishment from the commercial side of life?
          I thought I was being both precise and relatively brief; and probably should've left out the part about the brake malfunction entirely, since not really related to anything I'm currently concerned about. And since the brakes work great, too.

The way I write about technical problems, is too much influenced by my general writing style; which definitely is as a journalist. I can't seem to get away from using too much dialogue, writing about things technical.

Even when talking I'll drive a close friend nuts; by constantly attempting to weave in things of the moment which seem interesting and related, until I've nearly forgotten the initial subject sometimes the listener will have to remind me of.

Other friends who tire of this will take the initiative; and simply introduce their own topics of discussion, by interrupting me entirely. This can work fairly well if they don't also then overpower our talks entirely; though I've one friend and have experienced others, who seem either genuinely psychotic and unable to talk about anything other than themselves, or else find me someone worthwhile only to bully and find acting as if psychotic, one way to accomplish that.

I've got to get out and do somethings this afternoon; or this evening, since now six o'clock; though I'll try to get back to this soon, and see if I can rewrite to be more technically explicit and easier to understand. And of course with more brevity.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Blow by is where gases escape from the cyclinder past the piston instead of out the exhaust port. It shouldn't affect the condition of the spark plugs. A compression test, both dry and wet, will tell you if there is a problem with leaking from the cylinders.

You can buy motor oil for older engines. In my youth we just used to put in thicker oil, like 40 weight. I used to carry a gallon can of oil in one old car I had as a student and top it up every few days and more frequently on road trips. That was before emission checks, and even before saftey checks.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

should've left out the brake calipers entirely; etcetera

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
              Bob remember, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you.

Your suspicions are at least partially right. These guys are fixing stuff for you because you're requesting it, and then cheerfully paying them. They don't want you or your car to go away, anymore than one would want an egg laying chicken to be eaten. They/somebody knew (I realize that over time, several mechanics have been involved) that engine needed a total overhaul when that rod got replaced, because the major part of that work was taking that engine apart. If that would have been done then, none of this would be happening right now, unless it would benefit who? You because it was "le$$" money, them because it was a guarantee of a return visit.
              Yes of course you can replace single calipers, or one set of brake shoes, or one con rod, or one piston, or even just the rings on one piston, but only under the universally accepted notion that the repair is to be considered "stop gap" only, and things will now be out of balance, and things out of balance deteriorate more quickly...sometimes shockingly quick.
              Now is the time to spend the money you saved back when, Time to pay the piper

And Bert, this one's for you...my favorite PTBarnum quote "Ladies and gentlemen, This way to see the great egress!"
              The replacement of the bent connecting rod, by a non-professional mechanic; which cost me only $740 including storage of the car for nine months: Still seems one of the nicest things anyone has done for me. If I'd of been thinking I'd of left that episode entirely out of the dialogue, as probably immaterial. I was trying to cover even the slightest area of possible anomalies; when I doubt myself, that cylinder is any more or less reliable than the other three.

And the brakes work great, and have ever since I had the problem addressed then in April of 2001 after the malfunction. I stupidly wrote the first post, adding everything-including the proverbial kitchen sink. Thinking now, I'd probably be best served by sleeping on the whole mess, then tomorrow or as soon as convenient; resubmitting something which communicates the necessary, while sparing us all of what is superfluous at best.

I get myself parked at the computer; and my long standing habit from keeping in touch with friends emailing, is to create long dialogues which satisfy me I've been out and about in the world at times; when otherwise I can seem to've been mostly doing nothing. That habit in these forums, can sometimes be entertaining; though is a huge liability, when I need technical advice.

I could've simply asked for general advice about "blow by" and had better luck; though there are specifics worth relating. I feel like the "dear Abby" of FordFestiva.com today! Or something like that? I always read the Festiva factory manual; and wonder at the brevity I can sometimes be a little confused by, combined with the likelihood of the authors having English only as a second language.

Well, once someone has gone into a motor deep enough to replace a connecting rod; there certainly could've been reasons enough to do a more thorough overhaul then, except that the motor then hadn't much more than 100,000 miles if that many and really didn't need overhauling. The person who fixed the motor, after some water got sucked through the air-cleaner, causing the rod to bend; had planned on his sister getting the Festiva, he only sold to me out of kindness-for about what he felt paid him for his troubles.

An unusual person Daniel Motsinger, then running for mayor of Tillamook, OR who got 36% of the vote, while prior to the loss expected to some day be governor of the state; a libertarian, also a Xtian heavy metal musician. Or as I like calling him, "a small town congenital overachiever" who drove his wife he was then separated from nuts, I'm sure. A local princess type, easy to imagine believing she'd married a ticket to prosperity and respectability; getting everything but.

He's a total wing-nut, though the type you can only call that; because of their dedication to values most people abandon as unpractical, his energy and intelligence allow him the luxury to pursue. He'd been for the legalization and free access to any drugs, for instance; which is a policy my pharmacist father also advocated, as superior to legal controls considering how poorly that works and all the corruption involved. Obviously I guess, if they'd had children; his bluff would've probably been called long ago.

I'd been initially attracted by his full beard and long hair, though his overwhelming religious thing soon enough made sure we'd never be particularly close; as I'm as serious as he is about my own spiritual values, which are like oil and water between us: Except he sure is entertaining to be aware of; while personally exceptionally kind and useful to me. He sent me emails for years afterwards telling of his exploits before we finally fell out of touch; who had journeyed to the middle east to see the holy land firsthand, for instance.

Daniel had been driving a red Festiva with the spare on the rear driver's side, I'd noticed pulling away from the curb and flagged down; as I was walking to a local ATM to get the $55 to pay the towing company, who were willing to let me give them my Festiva when the local wreckers weren't interested in the car at all. Besides the car he drove, he also had another Festiva parked in the yard at his wife's place; so three in all with my car, for the nine months that was in Tillamook.
              Last edited by bobstad; 10-12-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

part two

I'd been on a mercy mission, driving from Eureka to see a very sick lady friend in Olympia, WA with a car then unlicensed, with my driver's license suspended; so no way to rent a tow vehicle to get the Festiva back to Eureka. I was sure I was sunk, though Motsinger came through unbelievably in a big way for me; despite my having to listen to his religious patter constantly, I can tire of in any situation. He defied his father in getting the car back to me, too; so I really feel the whole situation went my way, except of course the rod getting bent in the first place. The driver of the tow truck discussed the situation, like this happens regularly every winter there with severe storms causing the US 101 highway to flood; with several vehicles getting disabled, similarly to the Festiva.

I also trust the people now doing work for me on my car; while also understanding they can't be expected to work for free, and that they'll add a premium price to any parts I don't provide myself-probably most of their other customers don't mind paying; which is over and above the price NAPA charges me, I think an awfully stiff tariff.

I'm too impacted by a variety of factors to do the work myself; mostly since in this apartment complex, I have no place to do the work where I'm not constantly interrupted by stupid seeming strangers-I think enjoy giving me a hard time. I'm far from professional, so my success seems based upon having peaceful conditions; to avoid mistakes, mostly. I'm also now a lot more overweight than I'm used to being; so this incapacitates me as a mechanic, seriously enough paying someone else I trust comes far easier-despite the loss of my pride as well as the considerable funds involved. I always grip about having to work on cars; though afterwards I feel great about my accomplishment, too. These days, mind over matter seems the biggest barrier; and like I'm losing battles left and right, imagining I'll somehow win the war: Not a very comfortable feeling.

I do wonder about "blow by" and feel far from confident, that is the actual cause of the current oil leaks. If I can prove to my own satisfaction the leakage is from other causes, this would make a huge difference in my confidence with the Festiva; since much as a person gets annoyed at having to add oil, there are worse problems. I've done compression tests before, so if that could help determine what is actually causing the oil leaks, or at least more accurately give an idea of what may be wrong or not with the motor; I'd sure be glad to do the testing. This would be easy to rent the equipment for, or even buy what is necessary; I've owned cheap yet workable versions of in the past.

With the people I'm currently paying who suggested "blow by," they do seem to act as if willing to let me stick my head in the noose, they'll gladly tighten if I'm not paying close enough attention. They've been in business here nearly forty years; and I imagine most of their customers aren't too stringent, in requiring the most economical service: If they are also confident that their cars will work and work well, when they are returned.

I like them since they are so close to where I live; but, their large and overheated waiting room, makes me feel definitely corrupt-or something like that, against my natural grain. Way too many gun magazines which look like the type published by the NRA; though considering all the far more worse publications along similar lines, nice they also have a good selection of National Geographic. They also seem to like me, and appreciate I'm on a budget; so watching me navigate their capitalism, is probably good entertainment on their end.

I've sure run into worse seeming people, getting cars worked on; and their dog "Stetson" who is a hound with an insatiable appetite for being petted, who'll even nip gently a little in his demands; also understands "sit" like a person is Moses-so to speak, and that word a major part of the ten commandments. So, a learning environment I seem at least marginally capable within; and not likely to be prejudged, if I give enough evidence to have that avoided.

Though as Woody Guthrie was always willing to add, if you ain't got the "do re mi" probably a whole different ball game; which still might be better, than no game at all? The money I could be saving doing the work myself is hardly inconsequential; so if I had more of an immediate society of people close to me, I'd also likely be more ambitious and not so easily discouraged. Easy to imagine not being as overweight then, too! Straddling the fence in a right-wing welfare state; trying to avoid the worst pitfalls of capitalism, isn't easy-which I'm not happy about, as also my most involved occupation.

So, another novella with this post; and at least a few of the technical issues addressed, too. And past seven in the evening, so definitely time to get out and about.
                Last edited by bobstad; 10-12-2012, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I wonder if there is a way to test for excessive blow-by by pulling the hose from the valve cover and covering the port with your finger. Also you might be able to milk it a little longer with a vented catch can.

Comment

HINT: Usually cheapest when you have major engine problems or lot oil use from high miles is to just buy a good used engine and swap it for yours. Festivas and Aspires used Mazda B3 SOHC engine. Aspire engines had bit different crank end and pulley so need to keep all Aspire parts in that area. Availability in good used condition varies, but enough time passed now the low mile ones probably not that plentiful.

The Mazda 323 and Mercury Tracer had the Mazda B6 SOHC engine. (1.6L vs original Festiva/Aspire 1.3L) (SOHC = single over head cam) These are externally identical and a direct bolt in. A complete used engine with your standard 30 day junkyard warranty should be findable for $300. Lot more of these out there than Festiva/Aspire engines. Less money from a pick a part type place with no warranty if you feel like gambling. Used to you could get low mile B6 SOHC imported from Japan for cheap. Their tax laws encourage junking cars early so to provide market for new cars. This provided lot low mile used engines and transmissions, far cheaper than a rebuild. These tended to be an excellent buy. But time passes and the SOHC B6 time has passed for significant demand/availability. You now just look for low mile one in junkyards or car-part.com People have put other non original engines in Festivas but this isnt something you will hire done as it requires lot adapting and only gear head that enjoys such as hobby is going to invest the time.

Be aware there are a LOT of DOHC (dual over head cam = two cams) B6 engines. These will bolt in, but your existing engine management systems arent going to adapt. You would need computer and wiring and stuff from a donor car to do this. In other words you DO NOT want a DOHC B6 with your level of skill. No shop is going to do this for any kind of reasonable price. You want a SOHC B3 or SOHC B6 that is pretty much a direct bolt in.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                      I wonder if there is a way to test for excessive blow-by by pulling the hose from the valve cover and covering the port with your finger. Also you might be able to milk it a little longer with a vented catch can.
                      If you pull the pcv valve and can see the blowby coming out of the hole, you have too much. Also you will start getting big oily mess especially in the air filter can and high oil consumption. The carb models had air intake hose to can routed such that when this happened oil would drip down on timing belt.... Ask me how I know....

I dont know why but the SOHC B3 engines seemed worse about this than the SOHC B6 engines. Though they were for all intents and purposes identical. And with the B3 it seemed to be luck of the draw, some pushed oil bad and started early on. Others could have 300k and still not pushing much oil.

Some people posted that on lower mile B3 when this shows up, you want to thoroughly clean the baffles in the valve cover and this can sometimes solve problem. Somebody explained all nitty gritty details year or so ago along with pics. But in a high mile engine I'd say time to rebuild or replace engine.

And yea, catch can works great though really if you are driving lot miles cross country, get either a good engine or a different low mile car. Otherwise you are going to be at mercy of some "interstate mechanic".

Comment

Larry Motsinger just passed, he was my uncle.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The same Motsingers who owned or own the Portland furniture store?

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                          Larry Motsinger just passed, he was my uncle.
                          That was sure an unusual adventure, meeting Dan in Tillamook; though I don't know his relationship to Larry?

We never saw each other when I returned August of 2002 to pick up my car; and I was lucky to've brought the necessary jack and wrenches on the bus with me, to be able to get my wheels and tires off of the red Festiva he drove-he'd been using putting lots of miles on them, while he had my car. He'd then lived in a rented apartment, in an older sort of run down though not too bad for the era house, with one of the musicians in his band; so I got to hear a lot of Metallica and about how their neighbors across the street didn't like their noise. Dan was an unreliable band member his friend said, easy to imagine, because his amazingly varied interests probably hadn't made him too devoted to practicing; as someone I had the impression, functioned in some sort of lay capacity or maybe even more official, as if with many of the duties of a minister...so the reason I guess he put so many miles on his red Festiva-he'd seemed to be doing so with, using the spare on the rear axle before we met.

If I remember correctly there were quite a few Motsingers in the Tillamook phone book, and I also noticed there is a Portland furniture store owned by people of that name too. I'm not a devotee of any religion major or minor, while questioning all of them from a good deal of intellectual studies; with what I believe are excellent, and often not too well known though respectable sources. I'm pretty much a seat of the pants Marxist-Leninist, not at all a heavy ideologue; so besides that I've used a good deal of the macrobiotic theorist Georges Ohsawa's writings to cultivate my mind, and the books of yoga writer and teacher Selvarajan Yesudian's; who was my teacher Mady Sharma's teacher, I had nine class lessons with the spring of '73 and maintained an infrequent correspondence with-until the fall of '90, mostly asking where to find Yesudian's books.

Thus, I get along pretty well with people who try to be open minded; by trying to be that way myself. Though easy to feel marginalized, when definitely a black sheep in so many ways. I'm always thinking of what Ohsawa wrote, about the past five thousand years of human social evolution being devoted to the mastery of fire and salt, or metallurgy and chemistry, to the exclusion of the rest of the human potential-almost entirely. Once a person starts to try to understand humanity in segments that large, lots of things begin to fall into place; far more comfortably than we usually have the chance to recognize. And Ohsawa has plenty of fans and advocates, within a greatly varied political spectrum; so a good way for me to not seem so extreme, while Yesudian is also nice that way too. With both, they help me balance what is fundamentally a radical leftist point of view I've been finding lately, about a decade now; author, activist and lecturer Michael Parenti seems to most accurately describe.[http://www.michaelparenti.org/index.html * Just start talking ice ages, as ideologically pertinent; to rise above sectarian differences, no?

I can see getting there with Dan for sure; if he'd loosen up on his own intellectual devotions a little. I'm not prepared nor feel too interested, in debating the virtues of the bible against the Koran for instance; something he is intense enough about he has read both, to the point of having preferences between them he'll try to convey. Which is an involved very long-standing debate at best, of course; despite what he has decided for himself is reasonable. The older I get, the more I feel sad, at how the structure of anyone's intellect often prevents greater and I'd say entirely natural compatibility, between people. I tend to run inside the folds of some sort of a middle class habit, as much as I also seem to be at the peripheries of that; so encountering someone habitually outside of those realms a great deal more than I am-also impacted adversely because of the fact, can be daunting to say the least. A friend I've made the past five years here, who has lived often in African American ghetto communities in this country comes to mind; whose images of life, invariably include gangsters, lots of violence and the mob as common realities, of day to day life: Whether his psychological manipulation, as often can seem likely enough; or not. Roles I also feel are ones very stylized; over generations, as one class gets played against another-where racism and slavery are at the roots.

When there is a situation, with so much contained by force and commonly instituted evil, as if any contact with the protected realms is poisonous-over issues of unequal distribution of resources and opportunity; this ends up profoundly expensive and corrosive, while inevitably destructive too. With the practice, is one which in the end amounts to the continued evolution of more hegemonistic and out of balance societies, increasingly difficult and damaging to try to maintain: Such as the one world super-power of current times. I had one neighbor a butcher in Eureka I get along well enough with, tell me that warfare is justified-since also advancing technology; he'd seemed to believe was a reasonable justification. Though crunching the numbers, even as simplistically as I have to do; will give anyone incredible cause to question the philosophy. I was pretty shocked at my feelings, attending a popular 3/8 mile clay oval track race car night nearby here, a couple years ago; where I'd last gone to see races, the summer of '70 the most recent time I'd been to a night of racing.[http://www.skagitspeedway.com/ Simply putting life in harm's way to those degrees, now seems amazing and questionable to me; where I have to balance that, against what I know are my reasonably good driving and mechanicals skills-certainly influenced and encouraged by a passion for motor sports, I was cultivated in from childhood by my father and his brother; then also my peers, until out of high school-with that influence taking a long time, to fully pass. I have run into better seeming drivers than myself, whose habits are solely from economy and motherhood; so a good gauge to judge by.

With these days besides my resistance to the military-industrial complex, a similar attitude about the medical establishment; some contemplation of both, makes a person wonder what a world could be like-structured in a more benign and cooperative fashion for everyone? Which leads me back, to thinking of Ohsawa's koan about the past five thousand years, and what we've really been up to all that time, as a species working collectively. With ultimately my notions; more people should hold in mind the sort of things I tend to ponder, when allowed to; while also feeling at best socially, like a novice surfer riding the crest of a huge and dangerous wave-personally. Well, one life to live; so a person is bound to end up like air or water for instance, seeking where pressure and/or solvency determines. No?

*I'd have to credit my father's cynicism and that of his peers, as returning WW II veterans; for greatly influencing my development. Though not as publicly strident as WW II veterans, comedian Lenny Bruce or author Jack Kerouac; I can see the same influences strongly afoot in my parent's lives, with many of the same sort of tragedies playing out for them. Which only took awhile longer, since they'd not of course been nearly as prominent; while also much more of the general establishment, taking what available work and roles they could, as those opportunities were presented them. Yet all, having come out of the same experiences. I think veterans tend to encompass one of the most traditionally difficult aspects of humanity, for the dominate plutocracy to control-and whose services were so necessary for the rulers of the world; from those vets of the first world war demonstrating for their government benefits afterwards and the other veterans of other wars whose lives have touched me, who were also heavily repressed...all the way to the native combatants of Afghanistan to give an example, who have always strongly resisted any outside control of their regions-outsiders have sought to control for thousands of years. Any of whom, are likely to want to raise their progeny based upon their own insights; which are typically ones many if not most governments, are highly likely to dislike and want to repress.

I got some discouraged moments recently, seeing a Facebook friend I'd known in high school advocating for Ronald Reagan; by quoting that former president's quote of I think Thomas Jefferson saying "the government which governs least governs best." Which is an amazing hypocrisy for either: Considering Reagan's work in further establishing the greatest military power ever known, or Jefferson's use of slaves. What could be more a form of the most brutal types of governance, than military domination or compelling people to be slaves? Hitler is said to've admired the United States, he tried to pattern his own society and rule after; with the genocide here of the native people, and use of an imported slave society-to build the nation. I don't think original with Hitler, though a good thought to ponder-he'd mentioned; that "losers don't write the history books." Nor "holy" scripture; for that matter, either.

Comment

Wow, sort of an off-topic thread here; so I'll get back to the thing or at least the same technical issue, when I'm actually at work on the Festiva.

Cars sure seem to involve a person in a host of related though outside of automobilia issues. Like that koan of Tibetan Buddhism: that only conflict moves by wheels?

Comment

I think the Festiva would be worth that; if I could manage the feat!

Originally posted by Banana Bonanza View Post
                              HINT: Usually cheapest when you have major engine problems or lot oil use from high miles is to just buy a good used engine and swap it for yours. Festivas and Aspires used Mazda B3 SOHC engine. Aspire engines had bit different crank end and pulley so need to keep all Aspire parts in that area. Availability in good used condition varies, but enough time passed now the low mile ones probably not that plentiful.

The Mazda 323 and Mercury Tracer had the Mazda B6 SOHC engine. (1.6L vs original Festiva/Aspire 1.3L) (SOHC = single over head cam) These are externally identical and a direct bolt in. A complete used engine with your standard 30 day junkyard warranty should be findable for $300. Lot more of these out there than Festiva/Aspire engines. Less money from a pick a part type place with no warranty if you feel like gambling. Used to you could get low mile B6 SOHC imported from Japan for cheap. Their tax laws encourage junking cars early so to provide market for new cars. This provided lot low mile used engines and transmissions, far cheaper than a rebuild. These tended to be an excellent buy. But time passes and the SOHC B6 time has passed for significant demand/availability. You now just look for low mile one in junkyards or car-part.com People have put other non original engines in Festivas but this isnt something you will hire done as it requires lot adapting and only gear head that enjoys such as hobby is going to invest the time.

Be aware there are a LOT of DOHC (dual over head cam = two cams) B6 engines. These will bolt in, but your existing engine management systems arent going to adapt. You would need computer and wiring and stuff from a donor car to do this. In other words you DO NOT want a DOHC B6 with your level of skill. No shop is going to do this for any kind of reasonable price. You want a SOHC B3 or SOHC B6 that is pretty much a direct bolt in.
                              I've often read of the B6 & B8 swaps at this website; though this description is the most concise in describing them practically, from my point of view. When and/if I get through the front half of the Aspire brake swap I've recently gotten the anti-sway bar for I forgot when getting the rest of the parts off of a '97 Aspire; I'll be at least a little closer to feeling able to swap for a different motor. I've often wanted to be able to tow a little trailer, which the better brakes, and a stronger motor would both seem to advantage. Though I've also liked the idea of my good B3 fuel economy, the B6 would probably make a dent in; unless I resisted making frequent use of the added horsepower?

Reading of other's technical exploits, makes my own fantasizing a sometimes habit about building a motor; though I recall when rebuilding VW motors, those never lasted nearly as long as a new factory motor even when done by experts. So-finding a good swap must be like playing a lottery, with of course one's expertise mechanically and as trader-huge assets. I'd been feeling my current motor would be one of those lasting a long time, as I try to care for the car's mechanicals as well as can be done; I got with only 85,000 miles the previous owner told me had never been driven with other than Mobile One motor oil, who'd worked hard to give the impression I was getting a real cream puff in excellent mechanical shape. Oh well.

With the Festiva Motor Sport lowering/racing springs, good KYB struts and nice tires; the car is such an obvious contender for being by far the best car I've ever owned, even the best ever put on the road; when judged overall by my particular standards-sort of like a VW which doesn't suck for having basically an airplane motor instead of a car's: That the idea of trying to keep the car up, seems to make sense.

Though I also recall well, reading an article about the best way to have cheap transportation driving cars, during the mid seventies; was to buy a cheap "boat" like any of the major brand's full size sedans preferably someone's former two-door hardtop toy rather than a company car or rental, for about $300 and drive the thing until they dropped-while investing only in oil, gasoline, spark plugs, fan belts and such. A person saves all sorts of headaches, is never forced to do mechanical chores beyond very basic skills; and according to the article, the cost per mile of operation is very advantageous. Obviously a course I've never taken; exposing me to all the trails of my own stupidity, along with that of many others. Like I'd never had anything better to do; is one accumulative reality, whether truthful or not-so probably a great reason why I try to milk the phenomena of as much value as I can.

I like to think I'm part of a recognizable crowd; who take upon themselves attempting as much real economy out of driving as possible, rather than the type who if they had the cash would drive a big luxury car and could care less what that cost to operate. Too often, the same types who drive an old barge-until they can afford a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X