Question about replacing Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about replacing Transmission

I have a 93 festiva with the 5 speed manual in it. My clutch and transmission went out and my mechanic told me that I have to have the same transmission... a 93 4 bolt 5 speed. He said that it would have to be a 93 in order to work. Just curious if anyone else has ran across this problem before. Also i have a available a automatic transmission, how hard would it be to change it to a automatic from the manual??? I just want my car back on the road. I have a lifted Nissan titan that gets around 12 mpg and im driving 90 miles 5 days a week... Help!!!
    93' Ford Festiva 5 Speed 178k Miles
    06' Nissan Titan 4X4 6in lift, 18in XD Rockstar wheel, 35x12.5 Nitto Trial Grapplers

Re: Question about replacing Transmission

Your mechanic has no idea what he's talking about. Any 4 or 5 speed from an 88-93 festiva will drop right in and work fine. An auto will be a bit more involved swap and will kill your mileage.

A 5 speed from an aspire will also work provided you use the right mounts.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Yup. Time to find a new mechanic.

Comment

Don't convert to auto!

Comment

Speaking of 4spds, if for some reason someone needs one, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcroft92 View Post
            I have a 93 festiva with the 5 speed manual in it. My clutch and transmission went out and my mechanic told me that I have to have the same transmission... a 93 4 bolt 5 speed. He said that it would have to be a 93 in order to work. Just curious if anyone else has ran across this problem before. Also i have a available a automatic transmission, how hard would it be to change it to a automatic from the manual??? I just want my car back on the road. I have a lifted Nissan titan that gets around 12 mpg and im driving 90 miles 5 days a week... Help!!!
            Put up your address, maybe there is a member close that could help.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

upgrade to f series
              ;
              www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
              rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
              '92 Festiva L M/T
              '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Thanks for the Help guys, maybe I cant get something done now, really miss my festiva. Im wasting so much money on gas, its not even cool.
                06' Nissan Titan 4X4 6in lift, 18in XD Rockstar wheel, 35x12.5 Nitto Trial Grapplers

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  Your mechanic has no idea what he's talking about. Any 4 or 5 speed from an 88-93 festiva will drop right in and work fine. An auto will be a bit more involved swap and will kill your mileage.

A 5 speed from an aspire will also work provided you use the right mounts.
                  Ditto. You have lots of choice. Aspire rear tranny mount apparently is slightly different from Festy so you'd want to get ahold of that too, if an Aspire box turned out to be convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    Ditto. You have lots of choice. Aspire rear tranny mount apparently is slightly different from Festy so you'd want to get ahold of that too, if an Aspire box turned out to be convenient.
                    Both mounts are completely different front and rear.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I seem to recall a few years ago, when I was looking for a tranny for my 93, several Salvage yards told me that only a tranny from another 93 would work. They showed me some kind of computer printout....so there must be some kind of parts interchange program that's giving bad info. One of the yards had a tranny from a 91 but refused to sell it to me because their info said it wouldn't work.
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

That's odd.. If you want a tranny and have the cash for one. What does the Junk yard care if it fits or not. Do they not like making money?
                        Daily Driver:
                        91 Red Ford Festiva L 5spd Stock

Show Car:
                        2004 Black Premium Mustang GT Convertible

Comment

Whoo hoo... I got a Transmission!!! cant wait to get her running

Comment

Originally posted by Jcroft92 View Post
                            Whoo hoo... I got a Transmission!!! cant wait to get her running
                            If it's not a 93 tranny, and it does fit anyway, please let everyone else know. That's how we discover silly little quirks like crankshaft pulleys that don't interchange between 92 and 93.

Comment

word of warning if you go to replace the manual trans yourself. when you remove the cv shafts you should leave one in place. i have a old one i cut off just to make a tool if you dont and you start the car with them out and let out on clutch the spider gears will fall and lock it up. been there done that from exp

Comment

Working...
                              X