New Fuel Pump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fuel Pump.

I didn't know how much dirt had gotten into my gas tank. The dirt clogged the injectors and the fuel filter. The pump caused the 30 amp fuse to blow. So, I removed fuel tank and cleaned it out. I put the clean, dry tank back in. Since I had it out and the pump filter was clogged I decided to replace pump assembly. I installed a walbro 255 for an Eagle Talon. One tie-wrap, the +12 and ground had to be butt-spliced (blacks ground and blue-red positive) so the pump connector and fuel sending unit assembly connector can both be used. I put all back together, add 4 gallons and attempted to start car. No unmistakable walbo whine. Car would not start.
    Next: checked fuse with meter, good. Checked inertia switch, it's good.
    Pulled off connector to sending unit assembly and measured a good ground through inertia switch and 11volts on the 12volt side.
    I next pulled the pump out and removed the walbro pump connector to measure continuity from top sending unit connector to pump connector. It measured a good connection.
    I will next pull out the pump and remove from the assembly, and run 12 and ground to pump to see if it comes on.
    I think I need a new, new pump.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

There is a VAF switch which shuts of power to the fuel pump relay after a specified number of seconds. If all the fuel had drained out after you replaced your tank, maybe it just needs a little more priming.

Comment

Shouldn't there be about 13-14 volts instead of 11? Most batteries that are fully charged are around 13-14 volts.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I turned the key with an external line for testing. The pump never turned on. My warbro experience is they are unmistakeable when they are on.
        I think my battery has been drained from cranking. I mentioned it wondering if maybe that voltage was too low for the pump to start but I thought against it.

Comment

Id charge the battery anyway.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

As long as the voltage stays above ten volts when hooked up, it should go.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Update:
              Pump is working. There was a bad connection on the connector that goes from the sending unit to the actual pump. I had to disassemble connector to repair. This goes inside the gas tank, what could possibly go wrong?
              By the way this walbro is very quiet, can't hear it over the radiator fan. (Jumpered to be on with ignition, not worried about engine not warming up).

Comment

Not a good idea to bypass the safety.
                If the ignition key remains on in the event of an accident...
                I recommend wiring back up to the VAF circuit.
                I have a carb (no VAF) with a stock electric pump.
                I wired it to a Revolution which monitors the tach pulse.
                Safety is not negotiable.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

How did you end up replying to a thread thats almost 5 years old? [emoji14]
                  Good info for anyone who searches though...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed another member viewing this thread and felt that I had a moral obligation to respond.
                    I knew it was an old thread. Just waiting for someone to post the oldest post of the day smiley...

The correct expression should be "Quality is not negotiable". I like to use that a lot on the job.

Comment

Ah, i see

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X