No announcement yet.

Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a very similar issue with my fuel injected 89 auto festy. Weird part is it will run fine until I hit heavy traffic, then this sputtering/rough idle issue happens within 5 minutes of stop and go and the car will stall and die (especially if I try to accelerate past the rough idle it stalls out). The odd part is if I shut it down for 30-45 min it will start back up and run fine (until the next patch of heavy traffic). Can't recreate the problem for a mechanic so he can't fix it. Admittedly can't do any of the work myself, but what should be checked first? New spark plugs, distributor and air filter back in June 2013. This idle issue seems to be a problem after that install (didn't have the issue before then, but did have some really high idling over last winter when it was cold but nothing past initial startup). Mechanic that did the disty in June adjusted the ignition timing twice and said it was correct. Live in DC so I can survive without a car, but can't bypass heavy traffic! That's about all I know.

Comment

• Maybe this vid helps. You can see it stumbles and almost stalls and then recovers with fluctuating rpms. Right after taking this video I pressed on the accelerator and the car bogged down and died.idlefailure.mp4

Comment

• first check for a sticking VAF door and or loose harness connection, then move onto debris IN the dizzy (like oil) and if you see any, hose it out with Brake Clean.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Thanks! Does this video I took today help diagnose at all? RPMs while in park will fluctuate from 1700 to 1400 and continue to do so under constant accelaration. Only sign of the issue when not in heavy traffic.

Comment

• the vids are WAY too short to get any prognosis from them
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X