Sputters ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sputters ..

89 auto,, when I am driving it starts sputtering and will not accelerate I tried disconnecting the 02 sensor thinking it was the a clog cat but still the same thing. Also I rev the engine in neural and it sputters as well, it's been running fine all week but today this started plugs are new wires are new , cap, rotor, distributer,02 sensor, any suggestions what it could be?

Thanks

sounds like a vaf issue to me
    Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
    Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
    WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Is there a way to check the vaf(maf) ?

Comment

the only check it is to use a voltmeter connected to the wiper and look for drop out in signal voltage key on as you manually push the vane open slowly. a worn spot in the resistive media will most likely by in the first 20% on travel. voltage should steadily rise as the door is opened and have no drop in signal.
        '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
        '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
        '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

definitely sounds like a VAF (Air Flow Meter). This is one of those things that after time will go out randomly (on other cars as well). Looking at about $90-$100 for one from your local parts store

Comment

It does not happen often thought it goes on and off will a vaf Do that periodically ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
              It does not happen often thought it goes on and off will a vaf Do that periodically ?
              Not from my experience, but I guess it coulod happen periodically. Check the vaf electrical connection to make sure it is up to par while you at it
              Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
              Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
              Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
              WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Were the new plugs Bosch?

Air intake on and sealed good?

No junk in fuel ?
                Last edited by Movin; 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The plugs are not Bosch , the fuel filter is also new it happened once before with a full tank of gas and now when it happened it has a lil less than half a tank . Even when in neutral it seems to sputter a lil. And morning start ups are ruff and and sometimes stalls and have to start again revs high then after a minute it idles fine. Air intake and seal are good.
                  Last edited by Dom; 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Check the spark plug insulator, look for carbon track on the outside ( probably okay if new but a crack on install is possible ) and on the inside look at the color of the burn, it should not be sooty black or wet. Check spark with a spark tester on each plug wire. Shake some fuel out of the inlet side of the fuel filter into a glass container and check fuel quality. Consider seafoam for gp.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Will check when I get home and report back thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                        Check the spark plug insulator, look for carbon track on the outside ( probably okay if new but a crack on install is possible ) and on the inside look at the color of the burn, it should not be sooty black or wet. Check spark with a spark tester on each plug wire. Shake some fuel out of the inlet side of the fuel filter into a glass container and check fuel quality. Consider seafoam for gp.
                        Ok so my 30hr commute became 1 hr 20 min due to the fact my car would not accelerate past 25-30 and then start slowing down when i went up hill it was only till then i pulled over and was going to get a tow truck ,but gave it one more chance and tried it again. It ran good only for a minute or two then when it happened i shut it off ran good again and just kept sputtering until i made it home. So everytime i would turn off the engine and start it back up t would run good for a minute or two but then started again.So i did that all the way home thank god no tow truck was needed. I got home check Fuel it was clean, no carbon track anywhere, there is spark to each plug.....?????????????
                        Last edited by Dom; 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

fuel pressure? and do we know that there is sufficient flow (clogged filter)?
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

would a weak fuel pump cause this? A buddy of mines ranger was doing something like this and it turned out to be a bad pump. If not sorry for my stupidity.
                            1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              fuel pressure? and do we know that there is sufficient flow (clogged filter)?
                              i am going to have to buy a fuel pressure tester how would i test it for pressure?
                              I took off inlet to fuel filter to see if the gas was clean or not and when i crank the engine fuel came out, me thinking that the fuel pump is ok.....?
                              Last edited by Dom; 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X