No announcement yet.

Water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you DON'T have to pull the crank bolt to do this job, especially on an 88-89. dont even have to drop the passenger mount, just remove pullies and covers and you're home free.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok we'll I've pulled the old one to check it while the cooling system is drained. It looks fine.

Now to get the timing back right is my only worry.

Comment

Arty, I did know that about the crank bolt, I was just posting (a little off-topic) for those wanting to deal with the crank bolt at some time.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

fair enough, i just wanted to get this back on topic for Logan so he can get his 'lil beast back on the road ASAP.

it just seemed that once Logan asked how to remove that crank bolt (even though it was unsessisary for the job at hand), all subsequent posts fixated on that bolt, and if i were Logan, that makes this thread half a waste for me, ya know?

what i should do is stickie that writeup i did about doing the WP and timing belt, but even though i have Mod powers, i still can't stickie something. i'll talk to John about that later. and in the meantime, i'll work on other writeups for other common jobs.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Ok here's another question. If I pull the head do I need what new gaskets do I bed besides the head an valve cover? Intake manifold?

Comment

it depends on what all you pull off.... typicaly, VC and head gaskets, and downpipe gasket are the MINIMUM. If you had an EFI engine, a TB gasket would be added to that list.

you'll need a 12mm 12pt socket and extention with a long ratchet to loosen the head bolts. loosen each bolt 1/2 turn (going in reverse order) to keep from stressing the head. do this untill the bolts are finger loose.

Comment

Ok, I'm kinda thinking a bad head gasket might be the overheating problem. But no antifreeze in the oil.

Comment

that's typical... it's usually the other way round: oil in the coolent. (if there's cross contamination)

Comment

Well I've ordered new gaskets gonna pull it after work.

Comment

Working...
                    X