Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!! Just changed thermostat. Car overheated bad!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Just changed thermostat. Car overheated bad!!!

What did I do wrong? Why wouldn't the stat open? The upper hose is not hot at all. I drove 5 miles and the thing died and it was smoking like crazy. I let it cool down and drove home with flashers on and going 35 stopping about every mile to let the thing cool down and going again. What on earth did I do wrong? Please, any help will be appreciated. Its not leaking at the housing. I hope I don't have to put another stat in because I super glued that bad boy in. Hope I didn't do any permanent damage AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Last edited by jimdigs; 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM.

Didja put it in backwards? The spring should face into the head...
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
      Didja put it in backwards? The spring should face into the head...
      I was going say same thing I done that before myself
      1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
      1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
      2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
      2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
      2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
      1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Comment

When refilling the coolant from empty I always have to fill the rad then let it idle a minute. After it warms up it sucks all the coolant out of the rad and up into the engine. I then refill the rad and am good to go.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

super glue....hmmmmmm
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I put it in the correct way. Spring in towards engine and bypass thingy up. I read on this forum about what stat to get and how to install. I used the super glue to keep the stat in place so I wouldn't crack the housing when tightening it down. Think I just have air in the system? Thanks, Jim

Comment

could be air I had a car last week with air in the lines and it was running hot.. get set of ramps drive car on them and put spill proof funnel in the cap fill up the funnel with coolant and run car with heat wide open until the bubble pops out..
              2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
              2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by 90fastiva View Post
                could be air I had a car last week with air in the lines and it was running hot.. get set of ramps drive car on them and put spill proof funnel in the cap fill up the funnel with coolant and run car with heat wide open until the bubble pops out..
                Not trying to be a grammar nazi but at least use some punctuation and Caps would not hurt, would make reading what you wrote much easier.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

So the bubbles would come out of the top where the radiator cap goes? Thanks, Jim

Comment

It should if that's what it is. Could take awhile. In ran one 4 hours once to get air out.

Comment

Oh, MAN, found hole....picture.

So I walked to the store and bought some antifreeze. Getting ready to try and burp the air out of the system. I start pouring the antifreeze in and I hear a stream drizzling to the ground. What the?!?!? I bet this happened when I was trying to get to the last bolt. I had to pry up on the tube to get the socket on the nut. Can you think of anyway I can repair this? It leaks fast and hard a steady stream. The hole is on the bottom of the tube picture, where the arrow is pointing. Man!! Should of just lived with the lukewarm air I was getting.

Comment

There is a replaceable O ring in there. Try replacing it first. I have a good water line if you need it
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
                          So the bubbles would come out of the top where the radiator cap goes? Thanks, Jim
                          It helps if you can park the car so that the rad cap hole is "uphill" from where the upper rad hose connects to the rad. This way the bubbles will naturally come to the cap hole, and pop.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                            There is a replaceable O ring in there. Try replacing it first. I have a good water line if you need it
                            How do I get to the O ring in this? Does the tube unscrew from the other flared tube? Thanks for the advice. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                              It helps if you can park the car so that the rad cap hole is "uphill" from where the upper rad hose connects to the rad. This way the bubbles will naturally come to the cap hole, and pop.
                              I did have it parked on an incline like you suggest. The thing just started leaking like a sieve, that's when I found the hole or leak

Comment

Working...
                              X