Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a sudden burning oil, smoking problem......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a sudden burning oil, smoking problem......

..... On blue has suddenly came about. When we purchased the car the guy said it sat for a long time.
    When we drove it home it had no smoke of burning oil. We would start it every so often to keep it running plus the oil in it was black as black can be.
    It started smoking/burning oil just before I changed the oil in it ...... Hoping it would stop the smoking of burning oil. It has not. I'm not sure what it could be.
    I may be wrong, but I think I have seen oil dripping from the exhaust near the front. What would that be? Could it be a pvc valve or something close to it???
    Why would it just start burning oil just like that?
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

First thing I would check is to see if the PCV valve is stuck or sticking and that the line is not obstructed. If oil blows by via the small hose coming off the valve cover on the right of the intake pipe it collects in the low spot where the intake turns towards the air filter box, and then drips out of the joints. Pull off your intake pipes and swab out the accumulated oil.
    I have sort of the same problem as you in that the engine smokes like a chimney every now and again and then suddenly stops. I keep thinking a piston ring is sticking.

Comment

Drain the black oil put in some fresh cheap oil. And get it drunk with Sea Foam,then change the oil again. You might get lucky and loosen up the rings. But my cars that had this symptom eventually became "Mosquito Foggers". But I drive 100 miles a day. If you dont drive to much you could get get quite a bit of use out of it. Its worth a try... change the plugs also
      Last edited by nitrofarm; 01-16-2014, 08:48 AM.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

With the oil in the exhaust pipe up towards the manifold, I'm thinking it's the PCV valve. When I got the festy it didn't smoke and it didn't smoke the first few weeks we started it & ran it for about 10 - 15 minutes. Then suddenly it started smoking a lot, probably burning the oil in the exhaust that accumulated over the time we were only running it for 10 - 15 minutes.
        I will keep you posted...............
        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.

Mike

Comment

SO change the oil and he PCV valve. Needs to be done anyway. If it still smokes, you can do a compression test on a warmed up engine, then squirt a little oil in each cylinder, then test each one again. If the numbers rise with a few drops of oil in the cylinder, think rings. If not, learn how to replace valve stem seals
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
            SO change the oil and he PCV valve. Needs to be done anyway. If it still smokes, you can do a compression test on a warmed up engine, then squirt a little oil in each cylinder, then test each one again. If the numbers rise with a few drops of oil in the cylinder, think rings. If not, learn how to replace valve stem seals
            You are correct about valve seals. Lots of smoke upon cold startup is a common symptom of that one.

Comment

Blow buy will make your oil black,stinky & spray out your tail pipe.Valve seals dont usually make your oil this nasty... When its running pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover.You will hear and see the blow but through the hole. Healthy compression rings wont give you a lot of noise and vapor out of the hole. Just saying -

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                You are correct about valve seals. Lots of smoke upon cold startup is a common symptom of that one.
                No smoke on start up. Only when it warms up when it starts smoking.

Oil has been changed, I will get the PCV valve changed also.

I'll let you know what the results are......

Mike

Comment

Here is a link to a web page that has a fairly good explanation of blue smoke from an engine:
                  What causes Blue Smoke From Exhaust? Blue Smoke From Exhaust is caused by the Engine burning oil. How do you stop Blue Smoke From the Exhaust? Why is Blue Smoke coming out my Muffler?

Explains it with examples and diagrams much better that I could.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                    Here is a link to a web page that has a fairly good explanation of blue smoke from an engine:
                    What causes Blue Smoke From Exhaust? Blue Smoke From Exhaust is caused by the Engine burning oil. How do you stop Blue Smoke From the Exhaust? Why is Blue Smoke coming out my Muffler?

Explains it with examples and diagrams much better that I could.
                    That's a great link new. Thanks!

Now I have figured it out ...... a blown turbo!! ;-)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                      No smoke on start up. Only when it warms up when it starts smoking.

Oil has been changed, I will get the PCV valve changed also.

I'll let you know what the results are......
                      Mule how do you plugs look?

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        Mule how do you plugs look?
                        I haven't had a chance to look at them yet. The weather has been crappy here.

The PCV valve seems to be working properly, but I'm still going to replace it.

I started the Festy earlier and it smoked some on start up, then it cleared for a bit, then started smoking like crazy after that. Jeez! I'm starting to think worn engine, head gasket, or valve seals.
                        I say head gasket because of the lighter color smoke coming out all over .... like a smoke screen.

Mike

Comment

Mule pull the PCV Valve out while its running.If you hear a loud Blaaaaaaah its compression bleeding backwards through the crankcase.

Comment

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                              Mule pull the PCV Valve out while its running.If you hear a loud Blaaaaaaah its compression bleeding backwards through the crankcase.
                              Yes, I do hear a "blaaah" type of sound.

So compression bleeding backwards through the crankcase means what? piston rings worn?
                              Last edited by muleskinner; 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X