Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this trans sensor? Trans Problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this trans sensor? Trans Problems.

What is this sensor located on the bottom of the trans? The wires have been ripped out.

Also the car is having an odd problem. Just replaced the clutch and pressure plate. Clutch pedal feels good, trans shifts normal with the car off. If I start the car, while i's idling, the trans will not come out of neutral, as if there is a lock out. Now if I turn the car off, put it in gear, start the car, the clutch works fine and the car drives great, but as soon as I go to shift to the next gear the car gets stuck in neutral again! Any ideas?

At first I figured the clutch fork wasn't pushing the pressure plate enough to engage the clutch, stopping me from being able to shift. But after starting it and driving it around the block in 2nd with completely normal pedal feel I'm stumped.
    Last edited by BUSTIVA; 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM.
    '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

What is this trans sensor? Trans Problems.

Reverse sensor. For your backup lights. Did you replace the throw out bearing? Sounds trans related the fork shouldn't change off to on. How tight is the cable going to the trans? My mustang did this when the cable was maladjusted. But It wouldn't start in gear without rolling.
    Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The backup lights still work! I thought the reverse sensor was on the bell side of the trans?

I've tried tightening/loosening the cable with no change in results.

Comment

That is the fourth gear switch. When this switch is grounded, the ECA then knows when not to send a shift signal in top gear. Does anyone shift when the shift light comes on in your cluster? I don't and neither does BUSTIVA.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 02-17-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          That is the fourth gear switch. When this switch is grounded, the ECA then knows when not to send a shift signal in top gear. Does anyone shift when the shift light comes on in your cluster? I don't and neither does BUSTIVA.
          Oh ok that makes sense. I don't remember it ever being hooked up, but I'm just trying to zero in on all problems before I pull the motor back out.

I'm still stumped on the shifting issue.

Comment

Was the throwout bearing put on in the proper direction?

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
              Was the throwout bearing put on in the proper direction?
              Yeah, didn't change it. All I touched were the pressure plate and the clutch disc. Throwout bearing was in perfect shape.

Comment

Is that the stock tranny?

On the G series, that would be the neutral safety switch which doesn't need to be hooked up

As for the gear issue... Might sound silly but is the copper washer in behind that little sensor?

On my tranny I once installed the sensor without the washer (didn't realize it was missing until later lol) and it would not go into any gear, similar to what you described, might be worth a check lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yes stock trans. I'll check for the washer.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is the new clutch's throwout bearing was specific to the pressure plate (different from my last one), and that is causing the clutch to not engage.

Comment

Guess I'm going to pull the motor/trans back out to look at the pressure plate.

Can anyone think of a way I could test the clutch engagement while its out of the car?

Comment

The reason this happens is because you're getting insufficient throw out bearing travel to release the fingers on the pressure plate.

Try this, before you pull it. While pulling back on the transaxle release lever, measure the clearance between the lever and the cable pin. Thread the adjuster in or out until the clearance between the pin and the lever is 1.5 - 2.5mm (0.06 - 0.10 in.)

Then check free play on your clutch pedal.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 02-17-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I've seen similar symptoms... clutch plate was installed backwards. But usually it makes some bad noises while driving with it this way (if you start it in gear, you can drive it with a whine, otherwise you can't get it in gear).
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Haha. Well who would ever put a clutch disk in wrong ??
                          New build on the way .

Comment

When I was installing the pressure plate I noticed the fingers looked closer to the disc than normal, but figured it was just how this brand was. I think the disc hub is preventing the fingers to have enough movement to release the pressure plate.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                              Haha. Well who would ever put a clutch disk in wrong ??
                              I've actually seen it done 3 times! First was on an aspire, then the white B6t car, then after seeing two other people do it I just had to go and do it myself a few months ago. 0.o

I swear someone snuck in behind me and flipped it!
                              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X