No announcement yet.

My car is driving me crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know it is kind of a taboo subject but for me using MMO do wonders in my carby. Also, did you change the air filter?

Comment

As in Marvel Mystery Oil? In the gas? And yes, new air filter. Forgot to put that on the list.

Comment

Figured something else out. My alternator is junk. Think that could cause these problems?

Comment

Yeap, marvel oil, 16onz in a full tank. When I changed mine( put a B6 alternator) it did improved greatly the idle...

Comment

Should I go with a stock alternator or upgrade? If upgrade, what do I look for?

Comment

Almost any alternator from a Mazda will work (later Festivas, Proteges, MPV vans, Ford Probes ect). Although, I upgraded and had some issues. I say stick with stock; plug and play, no wiring hassles.

Replacing my alt seriously helped with idle. I was having something that seemed like a miss before replacing.
              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
              1988 LX 5-speed
              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I've noticed even having a bad belt, or improper belt tension, can cause issues.
                - Form should follow function...

Comment

I looked my car over the other day and the wire out of the O2 sensor was bent down some. I straightened ot out and checked connections. I also pulled the air cleaner and looked the carb over. Couldn't see a lot. Tried to make sure the wires were intact to the solenoid that is controlled by the ECU to control primary fuel mixture . Nothing obvious. Took it for a drive today and it ran fine. Intermittant problems are the worse. I'll probably drive it until it manifests again.

Comment

Well, if I can ever get enough money to put an alternator on it, I'll see if that helps!

Comment

Alternator is off and being rebuilt. Will be ready tomorrow. Looking forward to see how this thing runs!

Comment

Go the alt on last night. Car was dead this morning.....my new battery tested bad! Got that replaced and waiting to drive home to see how it runs!

Comment

Clean the terminals and the grounds to the chassis and the engine

Comment

Sounds like you have a short to ground. Its can be fairly easy to find,I would start by pulling the radio fuse if the Battery drains again. A cheap amp meter in series with the battery cable is the quickest way to find it. My E350 kept doing this and I kept blaming my kids for leaving the inside map lights on! Turned out it was the Rheostat in the dash dimmer switch. drool
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Well I had been driving it with a new battery and bad alternator. Would that have made my battery test bad?

Comment

Did you get a printout of the test? Where any of the cells dry or really low on electrolyte?
                                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                                X