HELP ASAP PLEASE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP ASAP PLEASE???

Hey people can someone please tell me why my electric external fuel pump is getting really hot and making my car stall untill I put water on it and then I can drive for about 15mins untill it's gets hot again??
    Apparently my motor was EFI untill the wreckers put my carby on it.
    Someone help ASAP
    Thanks

Is your fuel pump set up for carby pressure or EFI? Carby fuel pumps are about 3-5 psi and EFI pumps are 35-45psi.
    If your pump is an EFI pump being used on a carb, you are over pressuring the fuel pump and possibly stalling it, causing it to over heat.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 08-29-2014, 12:25 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I'm not sure the wreckers put a new motor in for me because my top end went had coolent on my spark plugs. I'm really not sure they changed my motor and said it was an efi motor so they put my carby on it and put I fuel pump. I tryed changing the fuel pump thought it was stuffed because it was getting hot but it's doing the same thing with the new one.
      What can I do??

Comment

I don't know why they didn't just leave it as efi. But it was originally carby and still is

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

I just ran the windscreen wiper bottle to the fuel pump so I can atleast drive it untill it runs out of water

Comment

Where is your electric fuel pump moumted? Normally the carby models have the fuel pump mounted on the back of the head. It's driven by a lobe on the cam shaft.
              Also, Check the pressure from the electric pump.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Near the battery I moved it because I thought it was getting hot because it was to close to the motor. Oh okay. How would I check the pressure from the electric fuel pump? Can I just take it off it never had one to start with?

Comment

image.jpg

Comment

IF i did this right there should be a picture with the stock fuel pump circled.

That's what I would concentrate on replacing instead of running the electric unit.

carbed festy.jpg

Comment

^ In your pic, I see the mechanical pump bolted to the rear of the head, right under the carb air filter. Is it a good pump? Why did they put on the elec pump?

If it was me, I'd just use the mechanical pump! I would suggest you test the mech pump, by putting the fuel lines on it and see if it pumps gas. Then I would just use the mech pump. If it don't, i'd get another mech pump.

Most electric pumps are located in the gas tank, the gas keeps the pump cool! An external pump can get hot.
                      Carb Festys have a smaller opening than EFI Festys. Not meant to have a pump in the tank. EFI have the pump in the tank and a larger opening to allow an elec pump to fit in the opening
                      Last edited by drddan; 08-29-2014, 03:57 AM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Yes u done it right thanks. So you think that maybe the stock fuel pump is stuffing up causing the electric one to work to hard??

Comment

You have BOTH the elec and mech pumps hooked together?! That, IMO, would the workings for a disaster!

If you have working mech pump, use that.
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I drive a carb with a stock high pressure electric fuel pump.
                            I have a bypass pressure regulator w/ fuel return line + 3.6 ohm inline ballast resistor (to slow down then pump motor) + Revolution fuel pump relay which monitors the tach signal (for safety).
                            If you don't have these, then you definitely need a low pressure carb electric fuel pump. Good luck.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 08-29-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I had one of those cheap electric fuel pumps on my old IH Metro. It worked great. I did keep an extra one on board though just in case. I think part of your problem is that the pump should be mounted closer to the tank and down low. They are more of a pusher than a puller.
                              Rick
                              1993 Ford Festiva
                              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
                              X