No announcement yet.

HELP ASAP PLEASE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so I'm kind of lost right now all you guys make it sound so easy. I've been stuck so many times in the middle of intersections and I'm over it plus it's kind of dangerous when your girlfriend is 31 weeks pregant.

I have tryed taking the electric fuel pump out, it runs for a couple of mins then dies.
    I don't know why they put an electric fuel pump on there.
    Okay thanks DRDDAN i sort of understand.
    I will get another merch fuel pump and try that.
    Yes it looks like they are both hooked together
    No I don't have any of them BRAVEKOZOK think it is a low pressure fuel pump it is 7 Psi.
    Okay EAGLEFREEK i will try and mount it lower in my engine bay. What do you mean closer to the tank isn't that at the back of the car?
    Last edited by Pedropete91; 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedropete91 View Post
      Okay EAGLEFREEK i will try and mount it lower in my engine bay. What do you mean closer to the tank isn't that at the back of the car?
      Yes, most electric fuel pumps are either in the tank or mounted near the tank, if an external pump. I would try to get the mechanical working. They are much more reliable and don't require a bunch of modifying.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

I don't want to discourage but I was thinking of trying to lose the EFI and get the 91 set up with a carb like my old 88 which ran so fine 275,000 plus until i had to sell it.

Beyond switching to the manual fuel pump- the carbed Festivas ran a different distributor with vacuum lines to the timing advance I guess, and don't know if that can be gone without-

It also has a different intake manifold- one piece instead of two- still not sure if the carb WON'T fit on the latter two piece EFI though, but probably not.

and then also have a separate gas tank- with the EFI tank having the sender pump mounted down inside under the back seat- I don't know what conversion the tank may have, but if you used the same fuel sender there, it's probably good advice above to have the pressure regulated as someone described above
        - it would take a knowledgeable mechanic and good luck finding one with that experience,

but if you can get the gas from the tank on some normal line, the mechanical pump would be easiest then- given the carb's already there.
        I replaced one ten years back or so- and I think it was two screws and the line clamps

I don't know what the difference in the two tanks is otherwise or if there's a conversion kit to get a normal line flow from the tank w/o the high pressured sender.

I had a 78 VW Rabbit way back when- the first year they went to EFI and the unit was outside the tank under the chassis behind the drivers door-
        very exposed to weather and I had trouble with it.
        It might be better in the tank if it doesn't spark and explode the car!
        Last edited by harpon; 08-29-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

What year IS your car ?
          - the Festivas were carburetor in '88 and half of '89 I think.
          Last edited by harpon; 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Your pump is not overheating until it starts vapor locking. The bubble fuel will not cool the pump as well then the pump gets hot and boils the fuel and you make new friends in an intersection! You have too much fuel line running around under the hood, especially up higher where it is hotter. You want to keep fuel and pumps as cool as possible. Additionally you mentioned your car was efi ? Did they take out the old pump in the fuel tank ? Any restriction anywhere on the suction side will cause fuel vapor lock fairly quickly. Also, if they switched to carby they may have inadvertently capped the fuel tank to canister and cause the whole fuel tank to go into a vacuum. With todays cheap fuel though that would be hard to do in warm weather.

Put the electric pump under the car where the metal line ends and use the original fuel line routing straight to the carb. Make sure the fuel return is working as well. That will also cause this if they capped it. A week long engineering project will generally fall short of the years of engineering and experience that is in effect in a original car.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I just got a better look at your picture by saving it to desktop and then enlarging-

You seem to have a carbureted Festiva from the get-go-

the air cleaner- the silver portion/unit to the side-
              the tube that runs outta that and down to a silver metal tube- (I elinated all of that somehow aboout ten years ago)
              and you also have a carbureted distributer- your Festiva is an 88 or early 89.

anyway- that's all stuff that came on carbed models and not present on EFI-

if the mechanical fue pump isn't working- I'd probably get a used on on ebay-

although I bought one NEW about 8 yrears ago from AZ or Advance- I don't know if they still list it now

The only time the '88 was running rough I tried several things- the new fuel pump, a big yellow Accel coil- and then the problem finaly turned out to be simply worn plug wires that were shorting out through the insulation- I could hear little ticks but couldn't see anything until I got the hood open in some real darkness and then i could see little sparks shorting out, and a glow through much of the wires- wrapping in tape helped until I replaced them.

Take a look at the photos of a EFI fuel sender on this thread , down the page some
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...e-Build-thread!

completely different tank- if you had this tank- you'd be screwed and would have to adapt the internal sender somehow
              but you probably don't have this tank if there isn't one of these under your back seat.
              And you really don't need the electric pump probably.

the carbureted fuel system never really let me down, I was amazed at how consistent and smooth the car ran
              and started ALL THE TIME with a few pumps of gas on the pedal (unlike an EFI, where you don't pump the pedal)
              and I drove my 88 from 175K to 275 K with only that incident, and a new alternator
              Last edited by harpon; 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if they took out the old pump in the tank. Okay I will put the electric fuel pump under the car. Okay I will use the original fuel route and go straight to the carby!! Doesn't it need to be connected to the mech fuel pump though?? What is the fuel return? My ford Festiva is a 1993 I'm from australia. I WILL try do fix some of these problems tomorrow and let you guys know how I go

Ever since I got this car I've had nothing but trouble thought they were meant to be cheap reliable cars guess not

Cheers
                Pete
                Last edited by Pedropete91; 08-31-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Any pump you put on your car needs to go straight to the carb. Electric .... straight to carb. Mechanical .... straight to carb. You DO NOT hook 2 pumps together!
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

[emoji90][emoji106]
                    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
                      What year IS your car ?
                      - the Festivas were carburetor in '88 and half of '89 I think.
                      This question needs answered!!!!!

It is important what year this Festy is, as it helps determine what all you have going on.
                      Dan

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

When you unhook the original mechanical pump you will see 3 hoses. Get a fuel filter like this one. http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product...FRFcfgodcYMAIA
                        Hook the 3 hoses to this filter with the extra nipple orientated up so that vapor lock bubbles will go out the top and back to the fuel tank.

I kind of don't get why you don't want to buy an original pump and go all stock? But that doesn't matter if you use the fuel return and electric one down out of the heat. It all will work to keep the fuel cool. You may be able to get a block off plate and remove the mechanical pump, it will likely turn into an oil leak someday as it will keep on working even though it is broke.

I have never worked on the Australian cars and some things are different but this should be the same. If the return hose is missing off your pump the other end of the hose goes to a nipple next to the original fuel filter low in the engine compartment and to the rear behind the tranny.

The fuel sock in the tank needs to be clean and made for a carbed festy..??
                        Last edited by Movin; 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM. Reason: additional

Comment

He is in Austrailia, so he has a Kia Pride or Mazda 121??

I thought Kia/Mazda had all carbs through the 90's overseas?

This from Wikipedia

The Pride launched in the United Kingdom in June 1991, fitted with both the 1.1- B1 and 1.3-liter B3 engines. The 1.1 was only available as a three-door in the basic L trim (whitewall tires were a commonplace feature on them).[27] There was also a panel van two-seater version in the UK and some other markets. Fuel injection appeared on the 1.3-liter-engined models in November 1994, referred to as the "1.3i". At this time, the 1.1-liter version was deleted.[27] December 1995 saw the Start 1.3i three-door replace the L, but from June 1999, the entry-level three-door was again renamed S with the higher-level three- and five-doors known as the SX.[27] Production ended during 2000.[27]

If this is true, then never had EFI in the first place, and had carb and carb type gas tank installed in the car.
                          Last edited by drddan; 08-31-2014, 03:07 PM.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I tried harpons trick and looked at the pics with my glasses on but not blown up big, it looks in the first pic like the fuel line is coming around the power steering rack and and has a not stock location and a not stock filter. In the 2nd pic it looks like there might be a stock carbed filter in the correct location but it is hard to tell? This thing may have been slapped together just to get it out the door. Either way, carbed or injected there will be a fuel return line there somewhere.

Comment

Thread moved

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

1994 still have the same problem tryed everything!!

Comment

Working...
                                X