Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I jack up the front end to spin my front tires..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That shim is for that knuckle. New knuckle will require it own shim or have to be setup from scratch.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
      That shim is for that knuckle. New knuckle will require it own shim or have to be setup from scratch.

Don't tell me that. The shim goes on the hub and I know it its then pressed onto the knuckle. It seems that it wouldn't matter if the knuckle is different cuz the shim rides on the hub knot the knuckle. Please be wrong about this. I'll give ya a dollar.

Comment

So they took a torch and held it on the hub so long that it burned through a quarter inch of iron before buring through a quarter inch of iron?

That or he took a torch to a knuckle with the hub already out and held it there for some reason until it burned through?

If I understanding this correctly, was he high? I am not the most mechanically inclined but even I know when metal starts to drip I may be doing something wrong.
        Last edited by Chobobulous; 09-16-2014, 12:21 AM.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
          So they took a torch and held it on the hub so long that it burned through a quarter inch of iron before buring through a quarter inch of iron?

That or he took a torch to a knuckle with the hub already out and held it there for some reason until it burned through?

If I understanding this correctly, was he high? I am not the most mechanically inclined but even I know when metal starts to drip I may be doing something wrong.
          The latter. To the hub cuz he couldn't get the race out. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Comment

Nope. The shims are specific for each hub. Because of casting differences. While the one you have may work. Good chance it won't. Have to measure it with a mic and make your own on a lathe.

Comment

And when the race is in there like that.....you take a chisel and crack the race and it comes out in pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
                Don't tell me that. The shim goes on the hub and I know it its then pressed onto the knuckle. It seems that it wouldn't matter if the knuckle is different cuz the shim rides on the hub knot the knuckle. Please be wrong about this. I'll give ya a dollar.
                You owe Nitrofarm a dollar.

There are 21 different shims to compensate for differences in the machined hub and bearing.
                They are still available from Mazda.
                Better to get another known good hub or one that needs rebuilt with the proper shim still intact.
                Have had many new bearings put in using the shim that came with the hub.
                Manual says you need to test with different shims till you reach the appropriate torque spec required to rotate the assembly.
                Clearly this is not always true.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  You owe Nitrofarm a dollar.

There are 21 different shims to compensate for differences in the machined hub and bearing.
                  They are still available from Mazda.
                  Better to get another known good hub or one that needs rebuilt with the proper shim still intact.
                  Have had many new bearings put in using the shim that came with the hub.
                  Manual says you need to test with different shims till you reach the appropriate torque spec required to rotate the assembly.
                  Clearly this is not always true.
                  I still have the shim and hub that go with each other. What I want to know is why I can't put a different knuckle on this same hub. Why would it matter? The shim does not ride on the knuckle.
                  Last edited by jimdigs; 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

You can send me all your parts plus 4 bearings and 4 seals. Then I'll charge $80 labor + @ $25 for shipping. I have all spacers already. I don't need the money just do it to help out. Its best to have someone work on these that is familiar. Can't believe someone couldn't punch out a race.

Comment

The hub that spins isn't what your shimming. Its the space in between the bearings. Your preloading them. You don't even use the hub when doing the setups. Just the bearings and knuckle and spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                        You can send me all your parts plus 4 bearings and 4 seals. Then I'll charge $80 labor + @ $25 for shipping. I have all spacers already. I don't need the money just do it to help out. Its best to have someone work on these that is familiar. Can't believe someone couldn't punch out a race.

I wish I could do that nitro but the guy at performance told me the knuckle is ruined. It is so beat up and outta round. He said if I try and put another bearing it there it will just get chewed up again. I'll try and get a picture of it so you can see it yourself.

Comment

I have knuckles

Comment

my fronts make a little noise too when spun but I think it is brake drag. Does one hub get hot when you drive it?

Comment

I really appreciate that offer. I am checking into a possible junk yard set for $60. If that falls through I will get back with you.

Comment

messed up knuckle

Here be some photos.... Plus a pic of the world famous preload shim..its a number 10.
                                Last edited by jimdigs; 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X