Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While replacing the alternator with an Aspire one, it wont crank when turning key...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While replacing the alternator with an Aspire one, it wont crank when turning key...

Belt was a little tight so I fliped it over the pulley and pulled the coil wire to get it on, turned the key to bump it and quickly off, to quick or so I thought. Turned the key again and nothing. Replaced all 3 cartridge fuses with known good ones, nothing. Replaced the relay on the washer bottle bracket, nothing. When I open the passenger door, I can hear a faint clicking of relays under the dash, but only sometimes. Have headlights.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Larry, please don't take offense to this but what do your grounds and battery connections look like? I have seen poor connections on battery posts operate headlights but not crank engines.
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Dale they look great. They were cleaned and post spray applied to them a couple months ago. Maybe I need to check the chassis end.
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Ok. Are the connections for the Aspire alternator the same as the Festiva?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything plugs in...
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Although it plugs in, you may still try to spread the male terminals very slightly apart, so that they make more certain contact with the outsides of the plugs-

that;s just a guess because I just did this on a headlamp socket on my Aspire- been having connection bug-a-boos for awhile with one or the other headlight going dim, not seem to ground, and I can take the plug and just wiggle and the light would come on and stay that way til next time

I grounded them individually for awhile and that worked for awhile

recently spliced a new female connector on the harness ends- and the stupid new socket STILL did the same thing

and I was pretty frustrated until this idea occurred to me of bending the male terminals on the light cartridge away from each other- looks like it may finally be working right, and have another new socket for the other side

meanwhile I see they've changed the whole replacement socket to fit a cartridge pre=wired. That's fine, except I still have two extra new cartridges of the old style!

The alternator pulleys are different sizes, though I think the alternators are thae same otherwise-

did you mess up something on the coil? Did you change the pulleys?
            Last edited by harpon; 11-27-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Didn't change pulleys or even check them. But even if there is no alternator on the car it should start, no?
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

You're right. You could always bump the starter solenoid hot against the starter hot wire to bypass the whole thing and see if your wires will support a cranking engine

Comment

You might try taking a 12 volt lead off the battery + and touch it to the starter solenoid. That will tell you if your starter is functional.

Comment

Be aware of exactly where you make contact jumping these connectors, as the arcing will damage threads. It's better to connections in a way other than against threaded areas.
                    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Have you tried jumping or swapping batteries from a running car?
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Larry Two questions-
                        What coil wire did you pull and then crank the starter. Was it the coil power supply or the the high voltage Secondary?
                        And did you have it running after the Aspire Alt swap and then noticed the belt tension? Nitro-
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Aspire pulleys are multi ribbed (micro v, 4 rib, whatever you want to call them), festys have a v rib belt. Pulleys had to have been swapped or you got something other than an aspire alternator.

I've never had to use a coil wire to jump a starter you just use a screwdriver to jump the two terminals on the starter/solenoid itself. I wonder if you fried the coil wire sending too much voltage through it? Or worse~the disty
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I pulled the wire from the coil to the disty.

I got to thinking last night. Jumping the solenoid on the starter shouldn't work as doesn't the relay on the washer bottle bracket click to send power to the starter?
                            2005 Accord - wife's DD
                            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                              I pulled the wire from the coil to the disty.

I got to thinking last night. Jumping the solenoid on the starter shouldn't work as doesn't the relay on the washer bottle bracket click to send power to the starter?
                              I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but usually one side of the starter solenoid gets its power directly from the battery and the signal to energize the solenoid probably gets its power from the relay once the key is turned to start.
                              Rick
                              1993 Ford Festiva
                              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
                              X