Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While replacing the alternator with an Aspire one, it wont crank when turning key...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drddan View Post
    Maybe you can explain why if you go to a part store, or RockAuto, you will get a ribbed idler alternator for a 94 Aspire? Ribbed idler pulley too.
    The idler pulley has nothing to do with the alternator. It is for the AC, which is ribbed. koRnhead is correct. Maybe there was some late 94s that had ribbed alternators, but all 94s that I have seen have had v-belts.

If the problem is not the starter, alternator, battery, or any of your wires, connections, or switches, your car is possessed.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
      your car is possessed.
      Lovely......
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
        Lovely......
        Haha, I was kidding, but I have had alternators come right off the shop at the auto parts store that were bad. I have had also pieces that fail at the same time I do a swap. They worked before the swap, but not after.

Did you connect the little male spade terminal at the top of the starter to the positive battery terminal? This will activate the solenoid and activate the starter. If the ignition is on, the car should start. If this works, I would guess your ignition switch is acting up.
        The Festiva Store

Comment

Sounds like a dead batt. Your bad alternator killed your battery too many times.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The auto parts can check your battery, alternator, and starter.
            The Festiva Store

Comment

This has got to be a record, almost 5 pages to find out why a starter doesn't crank!!!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The alternator wasn't bad, at first. It was covered in oil due to leaky front seals. I sprayed it with citrus cleaner and while it cleaned it, I guess I had a bearing going out. I tried to fix it but couldn't get it apart and then I dropped my good alternator off the blue car on the floor and cracked the rear case. I sent the front of the case to someone on here. I got the pretty new reman alternator and pretty new belt at PAP. W3ather has been going back and forth between 70 and 20 every few days and I have to work outside so I can't get acclimated to the cold and getting dark early sucks.
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

That bites, and I didn't mean to sound flippant but ...! wow ! When I get stuck fixing the Sno-Cat on the trail just to get back I use tarps that I carry to lay on. I cut fir or pine boughs to bungee a tarp over. This gives a bit of shelter. At home those 500 watt halogen lights can serve two purposes when it is cold.

Today about noon I did phone aid for a no start jeep wrangler 4.0 . It didn't crank, he said the lights stayed bright. No clicks he said. I had him gain access to the starter with jeep in neutral and chocked.He said it sparked a little when he jumped the big terminal to the little one. I told him to bang the starter with a hammer then try it again. This time it tried to crank then some smoke came out. Gotta love a smokenhammer diagnosis!!

You have all the advise you need already toward the diagnosis maybe some more ideas about how to keep warm during the time you have?
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                    The idler pulley has nothing to do with the alternator. It is for the AC, which is ribbed. koRnhead is correct. Maybe there was some late 94s that had ribbed alternators, but all 94s that I have seen have had v-belts.

If the problem is not the starter, alternator, battery, or any of your wires, connections, or switches, your car is possessed.
                    Do you think there was a mid year change, like the small nose/large nose festy pulleys in late 92?
                    Last edited by drddan; 12-03-2014, 05:19 AM.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

The alternator wasn't bad, at first. It was covered in oil due to leaky front seals. I sprayed it with citrus cleaner and while it cleaned it, I guess I had a bearing going out. I tried to fix it but couldn't get it apart and then I dropped my good alternator off the blue car on the floor and cracked the rear case. I sent the front of the case to someone on here. I got the pretty new reman alternator and pretty new belt at PAP. W3ather has been going back and forth between 70 and 20 every few days and I have to work outside so I can't get acclimated to the cold and getting dark early sucks.
                      Now you know how your starter feels, has to work in all conditions kinda like the Post Man. If its any consolation Larry I just had to do my E350 starter Friday AM in my daughters driveway (temp was a sultry 10 deg). All I had to do was get it to turn over and start for the 5 hr ride home. Beat on that Beach for 5 min while someone held the key on. No Dice !
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-03-2014, 07:25 AM.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

The older I get (47, be 48 in Feb) the harder it is to get used to the changing of the seasons. Once it's been cold for a while I'm okay but this bouncing back and forth....

I really need to get the garage cleaned out (really I need a SHOP!!!) so I can at least pull one car in to work on.
                        2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I say battery because you said your starter turns when's you jump the solenoid on the starter but won't engage or kick the gear out of the starter. Usually this happens when you are low on voltage. Can't spin fast enough to kick the gear out. Batteries and starters do not like cold temps as we all know.
                          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The older I get (47, be 48 in Feb) the harder it is to get used to the changing of the seasons.

53 here Larry !
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Okay, took off this afternoon to work on car.

Have headlights, nothing else. Checked all fuses.

No auto seatbelts, no blower motor. No flashers. No horn. No fuel pump kicking on when key turned, no dome light.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Maybe I should check the cartridge fuse base and wiring first. Easier to check than change computer. I've never done nitrofarm's cleaning on that.
                                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                                X