Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find Ignition Switch for 1990 Festiva, need compatibles & firm Cross-Reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find Ignition Switch for 1990 Festiva, need compatibles & firm Cross-Reference

I started a thread yesterday "1990 Festiva doesn't start consistently and stalls while driving slow occasionally". Took it to a garage today (actually, coasted into their driveway) and they are thinking it's the ignition switch. They couldn't find a replacement. I stopped by Napa on my way home (got a ride with a friend). Napa googled the part and found a possible replacement, but I hesitated to get it until I checked with you Festy experts, first. I am near Salem, Oregon - fyi. The Napa part is a KS6664, was supposedly cross-referenced from a part number 1676420. Does anybody have other parts to cross-reference, that you know will be the correct part? Thanks much.

What car is the cross-referenced switch for? I'm thinking that 1986-89 323 switches may be the same, since I can open a gen1 323 driver's door with my Festy keys.

Edit: they are apparently not the same. Checked on Rock Auto,and the 323 switch does not come up as a part for the Festiva.
    Last edited by TominMO; 01-11-2016, 07:56 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Are you talking about the key ignition turn lock cylinder to start the car? - - My key cylinder pins we're holding the key in and although it would start the car the key could loosely fall out. Today when putting the key in the ignition to start the car there are no engaging pins and the key feels that it's going into an empty hole. - - I went to autozone.com and matched the ignition lock cylinders for a 1990, same year, Mazda Miata and 323. They are LC14890 for automatic transmission at $20.99 and LA3421 for manual transmission for $269.99. I have 1990 stick shift Festy - - what's right???
      Last edited by meyek91974; 03-09-2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

The automatic transmission has an extra wire on it, some sort of safety switch, probably similar to the one the manual has on the clutch pedal to keep from starting the car in gear. Given those prices it would be nice if they are interchangeable and manual's just don't connect the wire.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

According to your part numbers, the manual is quite a bit different
          Manual

Auto
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Very different and I cannot find an inexpensive manual lock cylinder. It seems cheaper for me to take my lock cylinder to a locksmith as I cannot find a manual lock cylinder under $300 with tax included

Comment

Originally posted by meyek91974 View Post
              Very different and I cannot find an inexpensive manual lock cylinder. It seems cheaper for me to take my lock cylinder to a locksmith as I cannot find a manual lock cylinder under $300 with tax included
              http://www.fourgreen.com/store/scrip...T-p-KK15009010

This is a complete set for your ignition, both doors and the hatch.
              Not sure if they still have them in stock at foregreen but you might check..

Shipping to me via Korea post (3 to 4 weeks) is 24.33 + $57.86 for the parts.
              I know I ordered one for sketchman a couple of years ago. you might check with him to make sure it fit OK.

Neither one of the ones show in the pictures posted by eaglefreek look like my manual or my automatic.
              Last edited by 1990new; 03-11-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
                According to your part numbers, the manual is quite a bit different
                Manual

Auto
                Neither of those look close! Here's a stock Festiva one, not sure if it's auto or manual. The auto one will work in a manual car but not the other way around.

Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

The name on that lock looks like YUHSHIN. Maybe look under that?
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know if the ignition turn lock cylinder from a carbureted car will directly replace an EFI car? I have to wiggle the key in my car a little bit for the blower fan and wipers to start working. Not a huge deal but I almost had one pulled today from a carbureted car but decided to hold off until I knew for sure it would work.
                    1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
                    1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
                    1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

Yes they are compatible.

Comment

Thanks, still waiting on my FSM. I'll go back tomorrow and get it since it has the key and everything.
                        1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
                        1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
                        1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

It sounds like your problem could be in the ignition switch rather than the lock cylinder. Sounds like it's not making good contact.

Comment

Where at in Salem are you? I also live in Salem I could help out on that ignition switch...
                            93 Ford Festiva L new project-dd big plans
                            89 Ford Festiva L (snoopy) long gone
                            2002 Chevy Venture warner bros edition (wife's car, child hauler)

Comment

Working...
                            X