No announcement yet.

Rear lower shocK bolt size...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On both my lower strut mounts, the captured nut broke off. I replaced the bolt and nut with hardware store ones. My bolt has a 17mm head, and the nut takes a 5/8" box wrench. I took the strut to the store to get the right diameter. Forget the length, but you can use the original one to compare. I think it's a little bit longer than stock, maybe by 5 - 10mm.

Luckily, it is pretty easy to get the box wrench into the rear of the beam to thread the nut onto the bolt. Use a little piece of duct tape to hold the nut to the wrench. And have a magnet handy, one of those on the end of a telescoping tube, for if/when you lose the nut in the beam.
    Last edited by TominMO; 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
    X