No announcement yet.

Starter Pinion not Retracting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson leaned...the hard way. Now can I possibly remove the automatic transmission to reverse the flywheel without removing the engine. I hope so.

Comment

Yes! Remove pass axle nut. Slip driver axle from knuckle. Drop the cross member with trans attached. Remove trans, engine stays in and leans on the pass frame rail.
      There's more to it but you know those bits.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I find it easier to pull the engine on the auto cars . Leave trans as is where is .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Yes! Remove pass axle nut. Slip driver axle from knuckle. Drop the cross member with trans attached. Remove trans, engine stays in and leans on the pass frame rail.
          There's more to it but you know those bits.
          I've change engines and transmission several times with 5 speeds but this is my first automatic.
          Great to hear that I can leave the axles in the transmission.
          An expensive lesson learned, burned up a good starter and had to buy a rebuilt one.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
            I find it easier to pull the engine on the auto cars . Leave trans as is where is .
            I hate the thought of pulling the entire assembly out again.. I'm going to attempt just the transmission removal this time.
            At least everything is clean this time so it should not take me too long.

Comment

I did get the transmission out and the flexplate removed and turned around.
              Ran into some difficulty trying to get the transmission lined up and bolted back to the motor.
              Jacking it up is just not working. Looks like I'm going to need my neighbors cherry picker again.

Comment

Working...
              X