Axle Shaft Seal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    I have never even thought of changing them before I seen them on RockAuto. We were changing Rotors and Bearings on my brothers new Festiva and found that the CV axle, Tie Rod end and Control arm was no good so had to buy some extra parts and found that seal listed. He only paid $300 for the car and has bought about $300 for new parts so far and probably another $150 or so to get it running and road safe so that Isn't terrible. He needs new struts all the way around but I'm just going to give him my brand new ones when I switch over to Coil Overs.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

There are lots of them at Rear Counter.
      If I'm not mistaken A is for the the left side and B is for the right side.
      Please correct me if I am wrong. Does anyone know what C is for?
      Last edited by bravekozak; 11-08-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
        The 2007N is called for on both sides for the ATX but only on the Right side for the 5 Speed.
        The 223543 is called for on the Left side for the MTX. While the 2007N would fit on the left side,
        the 223543 is a little wider base and has a narrower lip than the 2007N
        1990new, Do i need one for the left and the right seal for the trans while doing a CV axle replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by Rytz View Post
          1990new, Do i need one for the left and the right seal for the trans while doing a CV axle replacement?
          Welcome to the forum Rytz Is your Festiva buried in the Snow there? If so... post a picture when you get it dug out.

If they were not leaking before. and you do not damage them when you pull the axles out, you do not have to replace them.
          But they are relatively easy to remove and replace once you have the axles removed and are not very expensive.
          If you are replacing only one axle and the other seal is not leaking, no need to pull that axle just to replace it.
          If you don't replace the old seal and it starts to leak after you replace the axle, you will have to pull the axle again to replace it.
          The old seal could last a long time after your replace the axle but with time and wear, it will eventually fail.
          First time I replaced CV's I did not change the seals and they did not leak. After that first time, every time I put in a new or rebuilt axle, I always replaced the seal though just as a precaution.
          So you be the judge...
          Last edited by 1990new; 12-27-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I've had the axles out 2-3 times without replacing the seals.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I struggled for 3-4 hours to remove a cv shaft once. The seal wasnt leaking so i did not replace it. It started leaking the next week. The very last thing wanted to do was pull the cv shaft again. So i just topped up the trans. After 6 months i had to add over a litre every month. Forgot once and siezed the transmission. Over the next couple years i seized it 2 more times (just add oil and it runs again) but i was adding over a litre every 2 weeks.
              Its a huge pain to add oil to our transmissions and a stuck cv shaft is also a massive pain.
              Its a $5 seal and takes one minute to replace. I would do it every time.

*edit* their $3.50...
              Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ryanprins13; 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X