Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I believe its time for my 5th festiva...compression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I believe its time for my 5th festiva...compression...

I have been having a hard time with the car starting. It will turn over but not start. Started a few days ago. This past Friday on the way home I started to hear an exhaust leak. I started it up Saturday to go to work. Hard time, cranked forever but started but this time the exhaust was loud. I didn't make the connection. I try and start it Saturday after work, won't start just cranks. I put a starter in, dumb move, I did do lots of checks on batter and connections but still should of just took the old one off and had it checked. Anyway, last night I figure I would check the oil cuz I do have a slow lose of oil but not real bad. I check and the stick is bone dry!!! What the?? So today I check my compression and I get 180, 90, 90, 180. Not good. This is the same festiva I reringed back 18 months ago and found the cylinders to be scored and way bigger than specs. I threw it back together back then and just decided to drive her tell she dies, well I think that time has come. Anyone have a dependable festiva for sate?
    Last edited by jimdigs; 12-12-2016, 10:57 AM.

Swap in a B6 and call it a day.

You have better compression than Skippy right now: 150, >60, 90, 90. He still runs like a champ, just down on power. I'd say something weird going on here with those numbers. The engine should still start.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Did you try adding oil to see what happened? No oil pressure may cause issues with valves not opening properly because the hla's arent pressurized. Maybe. My festiva was around 100 all across and ran ok

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Update: Well, today it was kinda nice here in Michigan so I try one more time to start my 93 festiva. The battery was pretty dead and it wouldn't do much. I decide to try and jump the thing with my new 88 festiva and it turned over quicker than ever. WHAT THE HELL?!??!?! I tried jumping it with my wife's car and all it did was turn over. Now today before I tried to jump it all I did different was take out the 3 main fuses. Pink, green, pink and put em back in, now I don't know if this was the magic trick to have it finally turn over OR that it is above freezing out and maybe I had a frozen gas line???? What do you folks think? STRANGE. Bought a new festiva for nothing.

Comment

Fuel won't freeze until you're under -20*F, so you can rule that out unless you have a butt load of water in the tank.

Now, when you say "turn over", do you mean crank or actually fire and run?

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

There is no such thing as buying a new Festiva for nothing. Time to mod It.

Comment

Gas line antifreeze contains alcohol (ethanol) but now most gas from the pumps contains alcohol so it's not needed.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Gas line antifreezes come in a variety of formulations, from methanol, to ethanol, to isopropyl alcohol, or combos thereof.

Here's a couple of answers.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  Fuel won't freeze until you're under -20*F, so you can rule that out unless you have a butt load of water in the tank.

Now, when you say "turn over", do you mean crank or actually fire and run?
                  It would just crank. It had to have been when I unplugged the fuses and plugged them back in its the only thing I did different from the other times trying to start her.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                    There is no such thing as buying a new Festiva for nothing. Time to mod It.
                    Ya wanna buy it. Its in super condition. The clutch is slipping in 3rd and 4th though. A rare condition find for here in Michigan.

Comment

Post up some pic's you might just sell it.
                      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

OK so now check that the fuel pump roll over switch isn't tripped and then verify spark.

Comment

Working...
                        X