No announcement yet.

91 Festiva high/strange idle when warn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.. I double checked the tps. It was still a tad off adjusted that with not much change.. Put in New ect sensor...fixed. Idles great and runs great! Thanks everyone! Now just to replace wheel bearings and water pump and timing belt... And figure out why the heck this thing is so unstable on ice.. Any tiny bit of ice on the road and the back end seems to dart all over the place.. It's bad

Comment

Replace the rear struts.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^+1 on the struts. Mine ended up getting so bad it would swing over on dry pavement going over rumble strips. When i got the rear struts off the shafts fell inside the body, they couldnt even hold their own weight up... new struts fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I didn't replace the struts, but I did get the problem fixed... My rear tires were toed in almost 3/4"

Comment

Bent rear beam??

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
              Bent rear beam??
              Not any more htd thanks to a chain and binder!

Comment

Well I spoke too soon on the idle... It seems to not be nearly as bad but it's still random.. Sometimes it's perfect sometimes it's high, sometimes it bounces up and down (sounds like a rev limiter but at idle).

Edit: its very random... It was high idling this morning, then I stopped to get cup of coffee, so I shut off the car. When I came back to leave I started it and then it was idling fine and idled perfect the rest of the drive, that was only a few minutes of driving and idling...
                Last edited by Dodgeih; 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

The last 2 days has been a constant high idle, very high, assuming around 1500 and still randomly hinted at idle only! Off idle everything seems to run perfectly... Any more ideas would be appreciated!

Comment

Get the engine hot, disconnect the IAC and adjust the base idle screw if there's anything left in its travel.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

So you're saying unplug us and adjust idle with the actual throttle stop screw on the throttle body? Then I assume readjust the tps because that will change.

Comment

No!!! No no no... There's a base idle air bleed screw at the front right of the throttle body.

Don't touch the throttle stop...

Comment

Yeah it's pretty well as tight as it goes... What happens if the throttle stop is changed?

Comment

Then you can run into the plate getting stuck in the bore of the TB. There's another option, and that's plug the inlet pipe to the IAC. This forces the idle to come from the TB only. Use this method to test for other air leaks in the system. Also, for it to work properly, you must also plug the fresh air bung on the intake tube so the VAF doesn't have a fit while the engine is running. If all is well, the base idle bleed screw should have to come back out over a full turn from it's current position.

Comment

What's the negative consequence too running like this all the time if I can get a consistent idle?

Comment

Other than poor idle and engine response when cold, nothing. Once it's warm, things should be normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X