Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where on earth to get stock Festiva tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    Are you willing to order tires online? Or do you only shop local?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    On line would be fine

Comment

Another option has come up-- Cordovan 155 80 R12 -- (looking on line it looks like this tire may be called "Centron" and/ or "Classic" but those names weren't mentioned to me over the phone) -- supposed to be a better tire than the Maxxis-- about 280$ installed -- anyone know anything about this tire?

Thanks -- Steve

Originally posted by steve s View Post
      Hi all-- have a Ford Festiva L with the 12" stock steel wheels-- the tires on the car right now say 155 80 R12--

have been calling around to some tire stores in the Wichita area

which of these seems the best pick to you?

Ironman 155 80 R12 , no mileage rating, Chinese tire, 261$ mounted and balanced

Maxxis MA-202 155 80 R12, all-season tread, 50K mileage rating, 312$ mounted and balanced (includes a freight charge)

Multi-Mile Classic 155 80 R12, all-season tread, 50K mileage rating, 275$ mounted and balanced

Are there any "red flags" against any of these tires?

Thanks much for any helpful input--
      Steve
      Last edited by steve s; 01-17-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

On line would be fine
        The yokohamas are the best 12in tire you can buy. Their pricy but have a look online. The 165/70 r12 should be a nicer size than the 145/80 r12.
        The deal dragonhealer mentioned is probably a good bet. $100 for tires balanced on rims already and if shipping costs you $100 thats $200 total for yokohamas.
        I think dragonhealer got the 165's at tire easy.com but i cant remember.
        Thanks-- what 14" wheels fit the bolt pattern? Or 13"?

Steve
        14 is a better bet that 13. The 165 55 r14 achilles are $40 each and are amazing tires. Lots of aftermarket rims fit. W4rkry would be able to give you a better idea on rims and what the cheapeat ones online are but your looking for 14x6 with a 114.3 x4 bolt pattern. Or a dual pattern that also has 100x4 like mine. And around a 35 offset i think.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
          Thanks for that link Ryan!
          4x 165-70/12 Yokohamas showed up. Even ordered on Black Friday they were expensive, got them mounted on the alloy wheels, 2x were perfect ballanc with no weight!
          How have they been compared to the yokohama 145's? And what site did you get them from again?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            14 is a better bet that 13. The 165 55 r14 achilles are $40 each and are amazing tires. Lots of aftermarket rims fit. W4rkry would be able to give you a better idea on rims and what the cheapeat ones online are but your looking for 14x6 with a 114.3 x4 bolt pattern. Or a dual pattern that also has 100x4 like mine. And around a 35 offset i think.
            Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I would recommend. The Achilles 165/55-R14 are fantastic tires for the price.

As far as rim selection, you have nearly unlimited options, it all depends on what kind of style and price range you are looking for!

14x5.5 or 14x6 is a great fit. You would want your offset to be in the +28 to +38 range on stock suspension. Same can be said for the 13s, 5"-6" wide with a 155-165 tire, like 155/70-R13.

In the end, you want your tire to have an overall diameter around 21" (165/55R14 and 165/70R12 both happen to be 21.1" overall)

With this in mind, it becomes pretty easy to look around eBay for some wheels that suit your fancy.

A Search for "14x6 4x114.3" will bring up lots of options, and you can then look for offset descriptions and the like.

If you get dual pattern wheels that include 4x100 as Ryan mentioned, you will also be covered in case you want to do an Aspire brake swap in the future!

Good Hunting!
            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
            Feel free to PM me anytime!
            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
              Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I would recommend. The Achilles 165/55-R14 are fantastic tires for the price.

As far as rim selection, you have nearly unlimited options, it all depends on what kind of style and price range you are looking for!

14x5.5 or 14x6 is a great fit. You would want your offset to be in the +28 to +38 range on stock suspension. Same can be said for the 13s, 5"-6" wide with a 155-165 tire, like 155/70-R13.

In the end, you want your tire to have an overall diameter around 21" (165/55R14 and 165/70R12 both happen to be 21.1" overall)

With this in mind, it becomes pretty easy to look around eBay for some wheels that suit your fancy.

A Search for "14x6 4x114.3" will bring up lots of options, and you can then look for offset descriptions and the like.

If you get dual pattern wheels that include 4x100 as Ryan mentioned, you will also be covered in case you want to do an Aspire brake swap in the future!

Good Hunting!
              Forgot to mention why you would want dual bolt pattern, lol. They dont have to be fancy or expensive either. Mine were cheap, check craigslist. Walmart might sell the steel rims you need. Here is a dual bolt pattern steel rim ben sent me a link to a while back. Fairly cheap. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...41?seid=srese1

Last edited by ryanprins13; 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

understanding nuances of tire size calculation?

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                Tire size.........Diameter.......Sidewall height
                145/80-12......21.13"............4.57"
                165/70-12......21.09"............4.55"

Used this simple tire size calculator. Charlie says a 165 width is optimal for Festivas.
                Might the calculator assume that each tire is mounted on a wheel that is perfectly sized for the design width of the tire? If you put both tires on identical wheels, say the standard steel Festiva wheel, might the 165/70 R12 tire end up being a little taller than the 145/80 R12 tire? That extra width has to go somewhere, right? Just wondering... maybe the effect is trivial but...

Steve
                Last edited by steve s; 01-17-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Might the calculator assume that each tire is mounted on a wheel that is perfectly sized for the design width of the tire? If you put both tires on identical wheels, say the standard steel Festiva wheel, might the 165/70 R12 tire end up being a little taller than the 145/80 R12 tire? That extra width has to go somewhere, right? Just wondering... maybe the effect is trivial but...

Steve
                  Technically yes, the width of the rim would cause there to be a slight difference in overall diameter. But it would be so small, it wouldn't matter.

As a matter of fact, that 165 designation means almost nothing. We have seen tires that can vary almost a full inch in tread width, even though they are both listed as "165".

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                  Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                  Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                  Feel free to PM me anytime!
                  Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                  Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Steve
                    Here is a https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/ Calculator that allows a more variation and will show you allow you to change the width of the wheel and see what happens to the tire.
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                    X