• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the fuel pump ground.

Comment

I think I know but where is it at?
      '93 Festiva L "Blue Beauty"
      '91 Festiva L (Red, parts car, future project)
      '90 Festiva L (Junker, Red)
      '98 Explorer XLT "Exploder"

Comment

Depending on the year, it grounds through the inertia switch.
        If you get in an accident the inertia switch breaks the ground (or the power in some years).
        The ground screw is located about the center of the rear hatch below the inside lower lip.
        Make sure it is clean and tight.
        It also grounds you tail lights.
        If your tail lights work, I would assume a good ground, but it doesn't hurt to check.
        Test the ground circuit with the pump on and report back.
        Try grounding the pump ahead of the inertia switch.
        The goal is to get the pump pumping.

I want to rule out the ground, the wiring and the inertia switch.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 04-08-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

When you swapped the bump if you didn't get the oring to seat correctly pressure could be going right back to the tank rather then up the line. Just a thought after you get done tracking wires.

Comment

Cleaned the nasty fuel line, and still just gently running out. The connector at the fuel pump reads 6 volts, but only on the bottom two pins. This is the ground, right? [AT[ATTACH=CONFIG]21995 it is connected to another wire because there was a pinched spot so I cut it out and put that one on it. Also the fuel pump certainly doesn’t sound like bravekozaks. Any help is appreciated.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jjaynes; 04-14-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

The Green/Yellow wire should have 12 volts to the pump from the fuel pump relay.
              The fuel pump relay is near where the antenna cable comes into the car at the bottom of the A pillar.
              The fuel pump relay gets it's power (12V) through the yellow/black wire from the main relay.
              The Green/White wire goes from the pump to the inertia switch.
              The black wire from the inertia switch goes to the body ground in your picture.

If you hit and pop your inertia switch, do your power seatbelts release?
              What does your fuel pump sound like?
              Is it a lower, more muted sound?
              Last edited by bravekozak; 04-14-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Yes it is a lower muted sound

Comment

Make a jumper lead provide a good ground to the pump.Any change? Provide a 12v source to the pump, Any change? If you isolate the problem to power side or hot side then you can perform volt drop tests all the way back in that circuit. For sh*ts and giggles my brothers Saab lost power to the pump in Kansas City, I went saw no power to the pump ran a jumper from 1 taillight to the pump as long as he didn't turn the lights off the car would run. Hey it got him back to lawrence.
                  Last edited by ricko1966; 04-15-2018, 07:43 AM.
                  30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

image.jpg

This is a picture of the connector to the pump. Not sure what colors are what any clarification would help

Comment

I dont understand how I can jumper the cable to the pump, seeing as how there are 4 connectors. If someone could tell me which wire in the ones above is power and which is ground and etc I could attempt to power the pump using the taillight or something else like you said. I'm just unsure of which wire does what and I am very inexperienced with car's electrical system.
                      Also, let me clarify. There is fuel running out of the line when cranked. The fuel runs out of the line sort of like water out of a water hose. When installing the fuel pump I did not prime the pump nor did I take much care in seating the o-ring. That was probably ignorant and I'm wondering if that could be a problem relating to pressure. Does anyone have some tips on how to properly install a new fuel pump?
                      Lastly, the relay does click when starting so I'm assuming that is a sign that it is good?
                      Last edited by jjaynes; 04-15-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

two connections are for the sender two are for the pump. green/yellow pump positive grren/white pump ground.Only going down this road because you said you didn't have 12v to the pump so if providing 12v to the pump fixes your problem find out where you have a bad conection if you still have a problem then staret looking for other problems.
                        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                        X