Rear Spindle Nut Issue on 88 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    Ok, this is dumb, lol. There is NO REASON for the reverse thread. The washer that the nut tightens against goes into the groove on the spindle and cannot turn. There is nothing making that nut want to turn as far as the direction the bearing is spinning goes. Stake nuts work fine, just like they do on the front axle. Problem is no one wants to buy new ones every time like your supposed to and they get 'staked out' as i call it. I love the castle nut and cotter pin system.
    As far as new nuts not threading on i had the same issue. I bought new ones from rockauto. I had messed up the threads on one spindle and ordered a die. Ran the die over each spindle (both spindles on my car are the reverse thread) and they threaded on. I think the threads get messed up from removing the nuts without fully unstaking the nut and it messes the threads up but the old nut keeps working but a new one wont.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    If the staking is not tight, the parts frett back and forth till the stake isn't there any more.
    Drill your spindles and use 1993 nuts, these and the earlier stake type are available as a Dorman part from your local "automart"
    Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-28-2018, 06:47 PM.
    No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
      If the staking is not tight, the parts frett back and forth till the stake isn't there any more.
      Drill your spindles and use 1993 nuts, these and the earlier stake type are available as a Dorman part from your local "automart"
      Yes, i had one come loose on our trip that i hadnt staked well enough, it just can happen on either side, it doesnt really matter which way the wheel normally turns.
      I didnt know you could buy the 1993 stuff new, how do i go about finding those? Just ask for 1993 spindle nuts?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Just checked with Dorman, they no longer list the 1993 castleated nuts, guess one would have to slot "stake" nuts.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Just checked with Dorman, they no longer list the 1993 castleated nuts, guess one would have to slot "stake" nuts.
          2 minutes with an angle grinder gets you there.

Sent from a mental institution
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
            2 minutes with an angle grinder gets you there.

Or 10 minutes on the milling machine, no one trustes me with an angle grinder...
            No car too fast !

Comment

Or 10 minutes on the milling machine, no one trustes me with an angle grinder...
              No one trusts me with either one but they can't stop me from using the angle grinder

Comment

I just bought a pair (left and right) from Napa. The left/standard-thread on is regular cad-plated; the right one is black.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                  I just bought a pair (left and right) from Napa. The left/standard-thread on is regular cad-plated; the right one is black.
                  Any Napa part numbers?
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

NAPA Festive rear spindle nuts 1988-1992

Right rear:. NOE 630 1644 (16mm x 1.5mm LH)

Left rear:. NOE 630 1643 (16mm x 1.5)
                    No car too fast !

Comment

Thank you sir!
                      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Dorman part numbers, rear spindle nuts 1988-1992 Festiva

Right rear:. 615-103
                        Left rear:. 615-104

Most "automart" stores carry Dorman products and can order these in for you.
                        Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-29-2018, 11:42 AM.
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                          No one trusts me with either one but they can't stop me from using the angle grinder

Hahahahahah!
                          scitzz, you made my day
                          No car too fast !

Comment

Hahahahahah!
                            scitzz, you made my day
                            That's me, I'm a giver

Comment

I'm having the same issue finding replacement nuts can't get the right but AutoZone or other part places if one knows the part number or thread specs that would be helpful

Comment

See post #26 above and try here...

Hope it works for you.
                                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                                X