Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your problem has been extensively discussed before. Just do a search for "cooling fan" The Cooling fan temperature switch is normally closed. It is supposed to open above 97°C (207°F). It must have a good ground to the cylinder head.

First test. Does the cooling fan come on with ignition in run and the wire to the cooling fan switch disconnected?
    If not, ground the fan directly to make sure it works.

If yes, then shut of the ignition and check the ground on the cooling fan relay. A simple test light is all you need. One clamp on the positive battery terminal and touch the cooling fan switch. The green LED should be lit when grounded.

If so, reconnect the wire to the cooling fan switch and test when hot. Maybe the switch is bad. There should be no ground when the engine is hot and the switch opens.

If so, then both grounds are fine and the switch is working, then Pull off the relay connector and test the black wire for ground.

If the relay ground is O.K, then it's the relay.
    Test it.

There is an electrical diagram for this circuit.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-13-2014, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Silly me, I forgot to mention that the very first check is the C. FAN fuse in the fuse panel. Sorry about that.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 09-13-2014, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Your problem has been extensively discussed before. Just do a search for "cooling fan" The Cooling fan temperature switch is normally closed. It is supposed to open above 97°C (207°F). It must have a good ground to the cylinder head.

First test. Does the cooling fan come on with ignition in run and the wire to the cooling fan switch disconnected?
        If not, ground the fan directly to make sure it works.

If yes, then shut of the ignition and check the ground on the cooling fan relay. A simple test light is all you need. One clamp on the positive battery terminal and touch the cooling fan switch. The green LED should be lit when grounded.

If so, reconnect the wire to the cooling fan switch and test when hot. Maybe the switch is bad. There should be no ground when the engine is hot and the switch opens.

If so, then both grounds are fine and the switch is working, then Pull off the relay connector and test the black wire for ground.

If the relay ground is O.K, then it's the relay.
        Test it.

There is an electrical diagram for this circuit.
        Thank you sir. Sorry I've only owned the festiva for a week as of today. ...usually a toyota guy so this ford is weird to me still, but it's a blast

Comment

• Originally posted by micro_trucktiva View Post
          Wish I would have found this before I ordered my 160° FAILSAFE thermostat from rockauto.com. do I think I'll have problems with it? No but it good to know for next time.

Anyone by chance have a p/n for the cooling fan switch? My issue isn't heat I have wonderful heat my issue is my fan doesn't turn on and the gauge continues to rise if I let it idle for more than 10 mins or so. While driving it's fine gauge goes up to where I think it should be ( just below the center mark), but if I sit at idle it continues to rise.
          Ehh I have a single stage failsafe thermostat on my B3 that I have sitting in my bro's garage. I honestly didn't see any difference between a single stage, or a dual stage thermostat. I personally think dual stage is just a bit of a gimmick.

Now I don't know what I have in the B6, whatever zoom zoom here on the forum put in it when he owned the engine. I honestly hope the B6 works better in the winter than my B3 did. B3 took like 15mins of driving just to start blowing warm air out of the heater.
          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 09-13-2014, 02:15 PM.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• I just picked one up today at my local NAPA 21.99 and gasket .69 with tax it was less than 25.00. NAPA Part Number: ATM 1541302. It is actually made by Tama in Japan and is supposedly the OE manufacturer for them. After a year of ownership its actually nice to see the temp gauge move higher than the 1st mark while on the highway at outdoor temps less than 70 degrees. I just hope it actually makes heat in the morning when on my way home from work.
            90 L plus 180,000 miles and counting.

Comment

• The air flow setting will only blow HOT air if you set it to FLOOR and the settings to the right of FLOOR.
              The settings to the LEFT of floor will only blow cold air.
              Weird, but try it!

Comment

• Mine only blows heat on defrost and defrost+floor.....hmmmm

Comment

• They all do. That's the design.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Yes, but what I'm saying is if I put it on floor only it blows cool air out or the dash vents and the floor vent

Comment

• Oh, that's a disintegrated foam gasket behind the dash.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

• Probably have to pull dash to fix right?
                        I do get a slight bit of air through the dash vent even when set on defrost but I figured it was nornal.
                        Last edited by micro_trucktiva; 10-23-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Yep. Pull the dash.

Comment

• NeanderPaul, oh holy one, is there anything you DON'T know about Festivas??
                            Buck.
                            -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                            -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                            -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

• Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                              Yep. Pull the dash.
                              Where would you get the replacement for that? Mine's completely gone.
                              1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

• I made one.

Comment

Working...
                                X