1989 Festiva wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Festiva wont start

I'm new here, looks like a very helpful forum. I'll try to explain this problem as best as I could.

I recently bought a 1989 Ford Festiva L, FI, Automatic that has been sitting for about 4 years. It doesn't fire up but it cranks over very well. I drained the old gas thinking it might have been old gas causing the problem. Didn't help.

If I put 'starter spray' right in the throttle body it will fire up for a couple seconds but it won't stay running, it's just running on the stuff I spray in.

The fuel is getting past the fuel filter, and into the fuel rail where the injectors are. I know this because, if I take off the bolt at the end of the fuel rail it is full of gas. Will gas get to this point even if the fuel pump isn't working? Is there any way to test the fuel pump?

I found the muffler was full of debris (from sitting so long) so after trying to start it, I decided to take the muffler off and that that might have been the problem, didn't help though. Is there anyway there could be more debris up the pipe more and causing it not to start?

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what it might be?

Thanks a lot, Mike

It runs with the ether so you have spark & air just no/not enough fuel to support combustion. When you are cranking the engine over do you smell gas? If not the injectors might be plugged, your fuel rail jammed from sediment & old gas. Try adding some race gas/fuel system cleaner to fluch out the fuel system. The filter screen on the fuel pump might be clogged so the pump might be working but not getting the right amount of fuel to run. You might have to pull the pump & take a look.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

^^thats what i would suggest too, plugged injectors etc
      what i would do is take the fuel rail off and blow through it to make sure it's not plugged, then swap in some injectors that i know are good then try again

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I don't smell of gas when i'm trying to start the engine. Is there a way to test the fuel pump, for example, by sound? When should it be making noise, when the engine in cranking? or when the key it turned on? Or do I know the fuel pump is working because I have gas in the fuel rail?

I don't have any kind of manual on this car, is the feul rail hard to take off?

Thanks

Comment

I dunno if the stocker is noisy enough to be heard. You might have to remove the pump & try it. I think the filter @ the pump probally is clogged too. Work the car from the tank to the engine. Pump filter -> pump -> fuel line -> Fuel rail -> injectors.
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

what i would do to check fuel pressure is turn the key all the way on then back (to build pressure) then take off the fuel line at the fuel rail, if there is pressure then you know the pump is working,
            i never hear the pump turn on in my car, but i don't usually listen for it either
            and no the fuel rail is not hard to get to

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Wonder if your fuel cut off was activated?

Red button under the driver side rear speaker!
              Press the button should reset it!

Agreed, fuel injector cleaner isn't a bad idea either!
              After 4 years sitting you need to go through all the systems before it will be road worthy.
              Check especially close the brakes and hydraulics.

Hey, do us a favor and add your location to your profile.
              Someone maybe close by that can help!

Pu241
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

oh ya i totally forgot about that fuel cut off switch, the one festiva i had we tried to get it started and that was the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241
                  Wonder if your fuel cut off was activated?

Red button under the driver side rear speaker!
                  Press the button should reset it!
                  If the fuel cut off was activated, would gas be still getting past the filter and into the rails? Or is it a power cut off for the fuel pump?

Comment

I've read on here earleir that, below the rear seat there is an access panel to get at the fuel tank and fuel pump, is that true?

*Location updated, sorry*

Comment

i never heard my fuel pump running and i was listining for it. maybe it was outside noise drowning it out.

Comment

Originally posted by miker
                        I've read on here earleir that, below the rear seat there is an access panel to get at the fuel tank and fuel pump, is that true?

*Location updated, sorry*
                        yes there is, when you fold the rear seats forward, pull the carpet back and you'll see it

Comment

Get a festiva haynes manual from cambodian tire. there about $22cdn. it will help you with lots of stuff such as how to take off the fuel rail

and dosen't the fuel shut off switch kill the pump? he said he was getting gas past the filter
                          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                          RIP 90LX

Comment

Yes, shutoff switch shuts power to pump!
                            But, will still be residual pressure in rail!
                            Till released by opening the fuel rail bolt!
                            once released, and if the pump has failed, or the filter is clogged, or the fuel shut is active; then press can not build again!
                            Also, if fuel shut off is active then pressing the red button will deactivate it.

The OEM fuel pumps are quiet, aftermarket can be heard running as you turn the key to "On"!

One other possibility, is the fusible links under the hood!
                            They are the red wires behind the radiator overflow tank!
                            I had one go and replaced the fuel pump to no effect!
                            Might want to check them for continuity!

Pu241
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You say you have fuel at fuel rail,But how good is the pressure.
                              Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                              99 Dodge Caravan SE
                              95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                              94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                              78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                              78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                              03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                              95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                              95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                              95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment