1989 Festiva wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally forgot about the fuel cut off switch
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by elcamino1
      You say you have fuel at fuel rail,But how good is the pressure.
      I don't there there is too much pressure, it doesn't feel like it at least. What would it do if there was pressure? Spray out? Because when I do it, mine doesn't.

I looked for the red button last night, I couldn't find it, but I did find a white button type switch located above the rear shock under the speaker. Is this the same switch? How does it work, do you push it/pull it, or flip it like a light swict dort of?

Thanks

Comment

rear drivers side.. little black box with a red button. If it has been tripped just push it. If it doesn't go in, chances are that's not it.

Comment

Maybe I was hitting the wrong button then, does anybody have a picture of this button?

Maybe tonight or this weekend I will access the fuel pump and test the voltage with a multi-meter.

Is this 'sock' easily accessable when i'm looking at the fuel pump?

Comment

this is it.. The lil black box next to the drivers rear strut. Button is on top.

Comment

Thanks for the pic, i'll take a look again tonight. Is it against the side wall? The button I was pressing had a little cut out in the plastic above the rear shock.

Comment

Thats the button.
                Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                99 Dodge Caravan SE
                95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Originally posted by xpnsyd
                  this is it.. The lil black box next to the drivers rear strut. Button is on top.

someone going for the aluminum foil festy?
                  2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
                  1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
                  1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
                  http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

^^^Jiffy POP

Comment

Update:

I tried to start it again on the weekend for a few hours with no luck. I realized that i don't think my fiel pump is working, you can hear it when it's tryign to start as opposed to my friends who has a whinning noise when the pump is working. I also don't think that its the fuel cutoff switch as there is power going to the fuel pump (tested with multimeter). I didn't realize that my '89 FI assembly was different than my friends '91 FI. The wireing harness was different, I was goign to try and swap them, but I couldn't do so because they were a bit different and I did't feel like messing around too much.

I also found out that there was a fuse labeled 'Engine" that was blown, I replaced it and made no difference. Does anyone know what this fuse is for?

Will this engine start up if the gas is gravity fed? I had a motorbike gas tank connected to the hose from the filter to the engine. It didn't start up, does there have to be pressure in the lines?

I am goign to try and get a hold of a used fuel pump and try that, does anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241
                        One other possibility, is the fusible links under the hood!
                        They are the red wires behind the radiator overflow tank!
                        I had one go and replaced the fuel pump to no effect!
                        Might want to check them for continuity!

Pu241
                        did you check these fusible links he's talking about. my gf came out after work one day and my car wouldn't start. well she called saying she needed a jump. after trying to jump it for a while i started looking around under the hood and just happened to start messing w/ them. one of them was fried. i couldn't find a replacement anywhere and ended up making one. one of them controls whether your car will start or not. can't remember which one though.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Originally posted by ajb999
                          Originally posted by Pu241
                          One other possibility, is the fusible links under the hood!
                          They are the red wires behind the radiator overflow tank!
                          I had one go and replaced the fuel pump to no effect!
                          Might want to check them for continuity!

Pu241
                          did you check these fusible links he's talking about. my gf came out after work one day and my car wouldn't start. well she called saying she needed a jump. after trying to jump it for a while i started looking around under the hood and just happened to start messing w/ them. one of them was fried. i couldn't find a replacement anywhere and ended up making one. one of them controls whether your car will start or not. can't remember which one though.
                          I havn't checked that, when I was workign on the car I didn't have access to a computer and I forgot where they were. However, the car does fire up and run if starter spray is sprayed in the throttle body. Would it still run this way if the fusible links were gone?

Thanks,

Comment

not sure. my car would turn over just fine but never fire. as soon as i fixed(i used one of the other links to test) it the car fired right up like normal. these relays control a lot. if i remember right, 1 is for lights, 1 is for electrical, and the other maybe engine. just tried to pop my hood to find out but it's frozen shut. you should definately check these. if it's the one that i had to replace you can do whatever else you want and never get the car started. hope this helps.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Originally posted by miker
                              I forgot where they were. However, the car does fire up and run if starter spray is sprayed in the throttle body. Would it still run this way if the fusible links were gone?

Thanks,
                              Haven't tried that but I've had a few fusible links go, and the car wouldn't even crank.

Comment

Working...
                              X