Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Automatic Seatbelt stopped working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Automatic Seatbelt stopped working.

Last week the automatic seatbelt was working. Today it is not. Where do I get it working again.

did both sides stop working?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

There is a module for it that goes bad. I think its under th drivers seat. They are available cheap through Festiva Motorsport.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Yes, both sides stopped working.

Comment

Most likely the the control module, but here is the diagnostic procedures for everyone.

Key OFF.

Disconnect the passive restraint module connector.

Measure the voltage on the "Y" wire at the connector.

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

N? Service the Y wire
          Y?

Measure the voltage on the "BK/Y" wire at the connector.

³ CONDITION ³ VOLTAGE ³
          ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
          ³ Key OFF ³ 0V ³
          ³ Key ON ³ Above 10V ³
          ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Are the voltages within specifications?

N? Service the BK/Y wire
          Y?

Key OFF.

Measure the resistance of the "BK" wires at pin M/N of the connector to ground.

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
          N? Service the BK wire.
          Y?
          Locate the inertia switch.

Measure the resistance of the "GN/W" wire at the inertia switch connector to ground in the following conditions:

ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
          ³ CONDITION ³ RESISTANCE ³
          ³ Open ³ Greater than 10,000 ohms ³
          ³ (tripped Ä switch not depressed) ³ ³
          ³ Closed (set Ä switch depressed) ³ Less than 5 ohms ³

Are the resistances within specifications?

N? REPLACE the inertia switch.
          Y?

Measure the resistance of the "R" wire between the passive restraint module and inertia switch.

N?Service the R wire
          Y?
          Locate the driver's and passenger's door switch connectors.

Measure the resistance of the "BK" wire at the connector in the respective door to ground.

Are the resistances less than 5 ohms?
          N?SERVICE the "BK" wire in question.
          Y?
          Measure the resistance on the "LG/R" (driver's side door) and the "LG/R" (passenger's side door) at the connector to ground.

³ Door open ³ Less than 5 ohms ³
          ³ Door closed ³ Greater than 10,000 ohms ³

N?REPLACE the door latch assembly.
          Y?
          Disconnect the passive restraint module connectors and both door switch connectors.

Measure the resistance of the following wires between the door switch and the module.

ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
          ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
          ³ LH door switch "LG/R" and module "LG/R" ³ less than 5 ohms ³
          ³ RH door switch "LG/R" and module "BL/O" ³ less than 5 ohms ³
          ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄ ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

N?SERVICE the wire in question.
          Y?
          Locate the A-pillar limit switches (driver and passenger side).

Measure the resistance of the "BK" wires to ground.

Y?
          Open door.

Measure the voltage on the "Y/BL" (driver's side) and the "BL/BK" (passenger's side) at the limit switch connector.

³ POSITION ³ VOLTAGE ³
          ³ Belt in motion toward A-pillar ³ Above 10V ³
          ³ Everywhere else ³ 0V ³

N?REPLACE the A-pillar limit switch in question.
          Y?
          Locate the B-pillar limit switches (driver's and passenger's side).

Y?
          Door open, belt in A-pillar position.

Key ON, close door.

Measure the voltage on the "Y/R" (driver's side) and the "W" (passenger's side) at the limit switch connector.

³ POSITION ³ VOLTAGE ³
          ³ Belt in B-pillar position ³ 0V ³
          ³ Everywhere else ³ Above 4.5V ³

N?REPLACE the track and motor assembly in question.
          Y?
          Key ON, door open.

Disconnect the passive restraint motor connector.

Ground the "BK/R" (U) (driver's side) or the "Y/GN" (A) (passenger's side) wire at the motor connector.

Apply 12 volts to either the "BL/GN" (V) (driver's side) or the "W/BK" (B) (passenger's side) wire at the connector.

Does the belt move from pillar A to pillar B?

Reverse the power and ground leads.

Does the belt move from pillar B to pillar A?

N?REPLACE the track and motor assembly.
          Y?
          Key OFF.

Disconnect the passive restraint module connectors.

Measure the resistance of the following wires between the module and the motor.

³ Driver Side Connector ³ Passenger Side Connector ³
          ³ "BL/GN" (V) ³ "Y/GN" (A) ³
          ³ "BK/R" (U) ³ "W/BK" (B) ³

N?SERVICE the wire(s) in question.
          Y?REPLACE the passive restraint module.

Comment

Just looking at that troubleshooting procedure alone is enough for me to put in regular seatbelts!!

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^^I would have done it myself but IMO it looks cosmetically bad. Unless you completely redo the headliner and trim pieces.. I have yet to see a clean factory looking conversion.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I will stick with the automatic seatbelts. Just need to replace the module.

Comment

They've saved me a few tickets.. :wink:

Comment

i still and always will prefer my manual seatbelts :lol:

but i did learn something recently which i think is neat, as i was comin accross the border bringing a festiva home that i bought from Logan, canada does not allow any car to be made or brought into canada that has automatic seatbelts (so i kept quiet about the auto belts in the car we were bringing accross) so obviously this law must be fairly old, and obviously it explains why until i went to the states i had never seen a festy with auto seatbelts

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Old thread for you Monsoon.

I bought a 90 Festiva today for a friend and the driver's side auto belt does not work. The passenger side works.
                      I can hear clicking, like a relay, when the driver's door is open and closed, but nothing out of the motor. I've removed the panel and checked connections and the motor is getting power. Can these units be serviced or easily replaced?

Also, what is the plastic thing with lines running to it inside the driver's side rear near the fuel filler?
                      ~Austin
                      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

The motors are clear down near the bottom, if that's what you're talking about. Mine are blue.
                        Buck.
                        -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                        -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                        -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                          i still and always will prefer my manual seatbelts :lol:

but i did learn something recently which i think is neat, as i was comin accross the border bringing a festiva home that i bought from Logan, canada does not allow any car to be made or brought into canada that has automatic seatbelts (so i kept quiet about the auto belts in the car we were bringing accross) so obviously this law must be fairly old, and obviously it explains why until i went to the states i had never seen a festy with auto seatbelts
                          What? But the Festy's in Canada had to be equipped with "Daytime" headlites?
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by Flametiva View Post
                            Last week the automatic seatbelt was working. Today it is not. Where do I get it working again.
                            Welcome to the forum Dude. Please add your city to your info. That way we can pick on you for taking the the "Tiva" name to a new level !:p Just messing with Bro-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by ;75347
                              Most likely the the control module, but here is the diagnostic procedures for everyone.

Key OFF.

Measure the voltage on the "Y" wire at the connector.

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

N? Service the Y wire
                              Y?

Measure the voltage on the "BK/Y" wire at the connector.

³ CONDITION ³ VOLTAGE ³
                              ³ Key OFF ³ 0V ³
                              ³ Key ON ³ Above 10V ³

N? Service the BK/Y wire
                              Y?

Key OFF.

Measure the resistance of the "BK" wires at pin M/N of the connector to ground.

N? Service the BK wire.
                              Y?
                              Locate the inertia switch.

Measure the resistance of the "GN/W" wire at the inertia switch connector to ground in the following conditions:

³ Open ³ Greater than 10,000 ohms ³
                              ³ (tripped Ä switch not depressed) ³ ³
                              ³ Closed (set Ä switch depressed) ³ Less than 5 ohms ³

N? REPLACE the inertia switch.
                              Y?

Measure the resistance of the "R" wire between the passive restraint module and inertia switch.

N?Service the R wire
                              Y?
                              Locate the driver's and passenger's door switch connectors.

Measure the resistance of the "BK" wire at the connector in the respective door to ground.

Y?
                              Measure the resistance on the "LG/R" (driver's side door) and the "LG/R" (passenger's side door) at the connector to ground.

³ Door open ³ Less than 5 ohms ³
                              ³ Door closed ³ Greater than 10,000 ohms ³

N?REPLACE the door latch assembly.
                              Y?
                              Disconnect the passive restraint module connectors and both door switch connectors.

Measure the resistance of the following wires between the door switch and the module.

³ LH door switch "LG/R" and module "LG/R" ³ less than 5 ohms ³
                              ³ RH door switch "LG/R" and module "BL/O" ³ less than 5 ohms ³

N?SERVICE the wire in question.
                              Y?
                              Locate the A-pillar limit switches (driver and passenger side).

Y?
                              Open door.

Measure the voltage on the "Y/BL" (driver's side) and the "BL/BK" (passenger's side) at the limit switch connector.

³ POSITION ³ VOLTAGE ³
                              ³ Belt in motion toward A-pillar ³ Above 10V ³
                              ³ Everywhere else ³ 0V ³

N?REPLACE the A-pillar limit switch in question.
                              Y?
                              Locate the B-pillar limit switches (driver's and passenger's side).

Y?
                              Door open, belt in A-pillar position.

Key ON, close door.

Measure the voltage on the "Y/R" (driver's side) and the "W" (passenger's side) at the limit switch connector.

³ POSITION ³ VOLTAGE ³
                              ³ Belt in B-pillar position ³ 0V ³
                              ³ Everywhere else ³ Above 4.5V ³

N?REPLACE the track and motor assembly in question.
                              Y?
                              Key ON, door open.

Disconnect the passive restraint motor connector.

Ground the "BK/R" (U) (driver's side) or the "Y/GN" (A) (passenger's side) wire at the motor connector.

Apply 12 volts to either the "BL/GN" (V) (driver's side) or the "W/BK" (B) (passenger's side) wire at the connector.

Does the belt move from pillar A to pillar B?

Reverse the power and ground leads.

Does the belt move from pillar B to pillar A?

N?REPLACE the track and motor assembly.
                              Y?
                              Key OFF.

Disconnect the passive restraint module connectors.

Measure the resistance of the following wires between the module and the motor.

³ Driver Side Connector ³ Passenger Side Connector ³
                              ³ "BL/GN" (V) ³ "Y/GN" (A) ³
                              ³ "BK/R" (U) ³ "W/BK" (B) ³

N?SERVICE the wire(s) in question.
                              Y?REPLACE the passive restraint module.
                              WOW ! This totally sounds like my Supervisor at work ! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                              UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
                              AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA UUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM
                              Maybe he's been reading these test procedures also????

Comment

Working...
                              X