No announcement yet.

My new ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok today was spent getting ready to make a trailer hitch tomorrow. I started by getting a Hopkins trailer light converter from autostoned PN# 48925 also available here:

Here is a picture of the back of the converter, it even has the wire code on it.

That site has a very basic wiring explanation, but I took a couple pics and wrote down which wire from the converter to the factory Festiva wiring.

1) Take the tail light cover panels off and unhook wiring harness from harness plug, remove bulbs from back of plastic housing. This gets the wires out and EASY to handle.

2) Follow the color code below and connect the wires accordingly.

These wire colors are the ones I found with voltmeter for my 88 Festiva.(not certain if all wiring is the same for all years)

DRIVER SIDE: (Converter to Festiva)
    Yellow to Green/Yellow (Left Turn)
    White to Black (ground)
    Brown to Red/Green (Running)
    Red to Green (Brake)

PASSENGER SIDE:
    Green to Green/Yellow (Right turn)

3) Green wire from converter AND flat four trailer connector need to be run behind the panel that holds the tail light cover panel on. Run the green wire all the way across and the flat four plug can be left to hang loose about halfway across. Wrap wiring with electrical tape and then zip tie to the wire loom running across the trunk.

4) Remove only the turn signal bulb and splice into the green/yellow wire leading into that bulb.

5) Replace the tail light cover panels and test flat four with voltmeter to verify everything is working.

Now on my trailer I only have LED lights and this is for a very good reason. The lights will not drag down the electrical system, heck the vehicle doesn't even notice the difference. Also, I made all of my connections in the short section of wire between the bulbs and white harness connection simply so it could be replaced back to factory if I later decide to. Also, make sure to use either solder and heat shrink or the butt connectors that have the heat shrink already around them, like I used on this one. It helps to keep the corrosion down to a minimum and hopeflly help the car continue to be trouble free.

Sorry about the crappy cell pics, but it was all I have, misery wont let me have her camera to use after I killed the last four we had during offroading trips. I sure hope this helps others when trying to do this. I will get a couple pics of the hitch tomorrow while it is being bent up and mounted. I am going to be using DOM tubing that I had left over from my rock crawler build.
    Last edited by shortystowing; 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM.
    88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

Today, I didn't get done everything I wanted to, but being I drove over 200 miles today and had a 2.5 hr doc visit... figures nothing got done.

Here is it jacked up in the garage where I got my rock krawler built:

We didn't have time to finish it, but got the main part of the hitch welded, we only lack the flat drop down plates that will be welded to the side of the rear frame rails and then gusseted:

Sorry bout the pics, but I was tired and didn't bother to even hold the phone close to still.

Tomorrow afternoon we should finish up the drop brackets and weld the DOM tube in place... then for testing it out.
      Last edited by shortystowing; 10-14-2009, 01:27 AM.
      88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

im from houston also, just bought a festiva last week. And my DD is a TJ with 6" long arm locked front and rear. Think i saw that festiva for sale, in san antonio i think. Got mine from fort worth.

Sami and looks good and i think i saw that uhaul conversion awhile back.

Comment

KILLER DEAL!!! The RV conversion is posted on pirate4x4 in towrig section. That has come along ways and I have used it once so far to get my sami out to spring creek. This Saturday/Sunday I will be up in Alto at the Adult Halloween ride with several other friends camping out and then Spring creek Halloween weekend sat/sat night/ sunday with a group of samis for a good get together, your ALWAYS welcome to join.

I got my hitch finished and installed, but it was late, I am tired and have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow, so I didn't get it painted, so no pictures. 300 lb man bouncing on the hitch and nothing but bottoming out the suspension... so it should work. I paint it hopefully tomorrow night after I feel better, then post some pics. I did find a way to mostly hide the hitch and not go over the muffler tip either.

I filled up the first time about three days ago and had 361 miles/9 gals for 40.1 MPG. Changed the oil to sync, changed air filter, filled the tires to max rated, and just filled it up again tonight... 381 miles/8 gals for 47.6. WOOHOO!!! That's my best for this festiva so far.
          88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

got me another festiva yesterday, its a parts car. If you need anything off of it let me know, its a 89-90 red one with ac. Been sitting in a field for 5 years or so with all the glass busted out but the passenger side so its a little gross on the inside.

Here is my jeep btw going to the creek on sunday if anyone wants to come

Here is the parts festiva, no pics of my driving festy though

Comment

Just got back from a weekend in Alto at Shiloh ridge and will spend the next couple days washing my buggy. I will try get pics up of the completed hitch today sometime.

Nice Jeep, hope to see you out at the creek on halloween weekend. We will be there Saturday & Sunday doing a small get together.
              88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

probably not making the halloween creek run, still in college and got a few party to go to.

ill shoot more pics of the red festy for parts if anyone wants some

Comment

Well, to continue this little festiva's story....

I sold it to my nephew(for the $250 I bought it for) to use as a DD to replace his F250 Diesel and it did just that 8 and half years or so... He called me back a couple weeks ago and asked if I wanted it back. Of course I did. I got it back with back tires, dead struts, one new dent, worst slop shifter ever, bad wheel bearings, and a weber carb that is horribly out of adjustment.

In the last week, I have put four tires, rear Kyb struts, rear Timken bearings, rear national seals, and repaired the shifter linkage. I have all of the front bearings, seals, and KYB struts, just havent had time.

It still has the painted interior, same tinted windows, and fun to drive attitude, even with the odo sitting at 240K. I will try and get a couple updated pics when I can. My wife has put her foot down, sold her honda and has claimed it as her's and it isn't allowed to leave family again... lol
                  88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

Ha, thats awesome that your wife likes the car that much! My wife likes em but would never demand to drive one, lol.
                    Hope you get time to finish up the front end soon.
                    Were the spindles still ok in the rear?
                    Hope to see some pictures soon, ill have to go on the computer sometime to see if the old photos of your tow hitch install are still there. It sounds interesting.
                    12 inch tires still?
                    Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X